Leaking carbs on a 2002 Johnson 150 hp

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just repowered my boat with a 2002 johnson 150 hp.It ran great befor i bought it.Had it laid down on its side for about a month.I got it installed over the weekend and hook up the gad today..The top carb is leaking at the bowl.Took the bowl off and it looks like it is warn away on the side near the gasket.Would you replace the bowl or put some sort of gasket sealant on it? They are composit bowls..If you would use gasket sealant what type would you suggest? Also is this common for the composit bowls to leak?

Thanks

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Leaking carbs on a 2002 Johnson 150 hp

001.jpg001.jpg heres the pic.....when i sanded the bowls I layed them down just like seen in the pic. on the wet-dry sand paper on a smooth surface and went in cirlcle movement and check then every 2-3 min.s on a piece of glass

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup the one that is leaking is warped..I hope i wont have to do this on all on them? The link you attached did not work,Could you try putting the link up again? Did you have to do all of your carbs? If i sand it wont it take away the little lip that goes around the bowl?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Edit..................................

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

(I did a paste and copy I have 2 bowls on my engine and fixed both of them,I am not sure about the lip you mention I can't remember seeing one,this was a awhile back I done this but is still working good........ I1989 90hp johnson.....My last 3-5 fishing trips my motor was getting hard to start,it would not idle very well,but would run good at speed.Then I notice what looked like a gas leak from around the float bowl..I had rebuilt these's carb.s about a year ago,so I thought maybe the screws were loose,so I pulled the carbs off and all was tight,that when I seen where these plastic float bowls would warp and had to be replace at over 110.00 each...after a little thinking I decided to sand the bowl level..I used 600wet-dry paper,layed the paper on a hard smooth surface and with the water running starting sanding slowly,after about 10 min.s of sanding,I place the bowl on a piece of glass and it was so flat and level I could not even slide a piece of papaer under the bowl,I checked all the way around an it was 100% flat...put it all back together fill the carbs up with gas and NO LEAKS at all.I let it set for 2 day and still a perfect seal.I hook up the muffs and the motor started on first try and idels very smooth.Took it to the lake today and same thing,started 1st try and idels very good,it has never startd this easy before I guess it has always had a very small leak or had been sucking in air and just got worst....this fix cost me nothing ,already had the sand paper,took me about 2-3 hours to compete the repairs..I guess time will tell if this fix is good,but so far it looks good...

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help.I just ordered new ones..don't wanna be stuck or have a

gas leak or fire.