'84 Evinrude 75hp Shift shaft leak.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '84 Evinrude 75hp Shift shaft leak.

I'm assuming you have it off the engine and are positive it's coming from there. I had a leak towards the front of the lower unit with it all together, but found out the exhaust had eaten thru rubber boot #44. (I do a lot of trolling and run a little on the rich side)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the oil coming out from around the bottom of the hsg gasket or around the shift shaft orings ??

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I am positive that it is coming from the shift shaft. When the motor was tilted up oil was leaking from between the mating surfaces of the lower unit and midsection. I took the L/U down, and angled it in the same fashion, and it seemed as if the oil was leaking from under the hsg gasket.

On another note, how hard is it to do a full seal kit on the lower units of these guys? Would I need any special tools to remove the bearing carrier assembly? I just want to make sure that when I put everything back together that all of my tolerances are correct.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best thing to do is a pressure/vacuum test on it to make sure exactly where it's leaking and go from there. Yes, you will need some special tools to do a complete seal job.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ok guys so l/u oil looks great. It is leaking at part #49. It looks hard to get to as it is hidden in the shift shaft housing. There actually was not one in there at all! Does this seem odd to anyone?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sutor, you have a PM.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks again Bob. I was able to get the old Orin's out of the housing with a dart tip and got the new one in and she's nice and snug. I also took that three blade impeller out and put in a six blade.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You're welcome. Let us know the final out come.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I hope you installed the shift rod in the hsg the way I told you.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I hope you installed the shift rod in the hsg the way I told you.

Sure did! Threaded it through the oring and counted threads when tightening her down.