1957 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric 18

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to post new thread since I listed it as a 1958 on the old one. The new wiring from control panel (start/stop) to the solenoid to engine is coming along. If I can't get a harness from the solenoid that plugs into the engine then I'm just going to bypass the connector and just wire straight to the components. Maybe able to rig a different connector, anyway I checked the compression and am getting 80 psi on both cylinders. Probably not as high as it maybe could be but at least they are the same. Removed the lower unit drain plug and about a teaspoon of clear water came out and nothing else. The oil is in there just gummed up from sitting for 7-8 years. Prop turns fine in fwd and reverse, no problems. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Evinrude 18 hp Fastwin Electric 18

Now remove the upper vent screw, the oil will flow better when it is not in a vaccuum. Be sure to replace the gaskets when you reinstall the screws.

The harness can be bought new, but not cheap

Antique and Classic Outboard Motor Paint & Decals

I have one, but you will have to buy it off my wife at my estate sale after I die! lol.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks Chris appreciate that!! The vent screw is out, might be clogged. What do you think about that little bit of water that came out? Is there a good way of flushing out the lower unit to get rid of the old oil sludge before adding clean fresh oil?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have never flushed a closed gearcase myself. If I am uncertain, I open her up, clean and reseal. Not to say it cannot be done though.

Usually after a couple oil changes the gear oil should be all clean again.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know if the negative cable from the battery is wired into the connector that plugs into the front of this engine? When I got this thing there were three wires hanging out of this connector. One is the positive coming from the solenoid. One is coming from the stop/choke push button which controls the choke solenoid. The third wire comes from the small post on solenoid which is the solenoid ground. There is also hanging off the connector a big piece of bare stranded wire. The guy I bought it from said it looked like a ground strap. I don't think so I believe that is where the negative battery was connected at. The connector on the front of the engine where this connector I'm talking about plugs into, one of those connections has a thick gauged black cable going to the engine block. I know that isn't just for that tiny ground wire coming from the solenoid. Am I right or losing it? Haha

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok. ....

The NEG lead from the battery will go into the wiring harness which plugs into the motor. The POS lead from the battery will go to the large post from the solenoid, along with a small wire from start button.

Here is my wiring harness. Sorry about poor photography. Mine had a key switch added at some point for security.

001.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

http://www.nymarine.ca/57esharness.JPG

001_zpse03d4c53.jpg

002_zpsb700741c.jpg

003_zpsaf9c2d2f.jpg

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks again, I thought that is what the mess of bare stranded wire was for. I maybe able to salvage the connector I am not sure. Lot of bare wire up inside of it, may just put my heat gun to it and get the cover off of it to see how it looks and see what I can do with it. Will keep looking for one in the mean time. If worse comes to worse I will just run my wires/cables directly to engine block, starter, and choke solenoid. No big deal but would like it nice and original. Thanks again!