evinrude 83 115 bypass cover

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking for the bypass cover for a V4 flat back 115. #1 cylinder. The OEM part number off the old one is 0327911, that number does not exsist on the BRP site. The other covers from the same motor dont seem to fit as they dont go in all the way. The # 3 cover will fit but it does not have the casting for the wire terminals or the rectifier.

I have a cover fom a 79 85hp # 0310532 but it does not have casting and the nipple for the recirc lines.

It appears that maybe the gasket would take up some of the space that seems to be there as the cover without a gasket does not sit flat.
the one I removed didnt seem to fit either which caused the gasket to blow out and exhaust was popping out from it.

any thoughts?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 83 115 bypass cover

Go to the top secret files at the begining of this forum and look for salvage yards. You may find your parts there.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after looking at part numbers it looks like i have the right cover and its not bent or warped.
The gaskets I used are from sierra and much thinner than the OEM. I comparred them to a used set of covers I had.
The other set fit great with the old OEM gaskets. I will be ordering new OEM ones.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

So much for Sierra, I still prefer the OEM parts.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the gaskets are not the problem, number 1 cylinder bypass cover comes in contact with the block where it meets the intake ports. It only happens on #1 cylinder. therefore the gasket leaks. i tried the other covers and the same thing happens except for the #3 cover but it does not have the holes for the rectifier.'
I am sure i have the right part numbers.
i have 2 sets of covers and the same thing occurs with the other covers.
If I use 2 gaskets it sits flat on the block.
I filed down the casting and it fits fine with 1 gasket but Im not sure why this is happening.

thoughts?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Over the years, the bypass cover changed design slightly-on the internal aspect. Early ones were pretty basic. (probably mid/late 70's) Later ones changed-the internal "fingers" were enlarged slightly to take up more space- for better performance. Really hard to tell them apart unless you had two of them side by side to visually see the difference. I'm not aware that there would be any "internal" configuration difference between covers on the same engine. (perhaps the cover was replaced at one time..) The fact that you need the ones with a recirc line (or maybe it's the fuel primer line) means you really need to find the correct one. I appreciate your inventivness and think one of your solutions will work just fine. Also you could try locating a used one. There have to be tons of them still around in salvage yards. Check out: Wilmington Boat Recyclers. They advertise on ebay and have tons of old crossflow parts.

Last edited:

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EMD
I agree with you about the slight changes throughout the years, finding one to fit is the hard part. I do have the recirculation system, my choke lines go into the intake manifold.
looking at some of the covers side by side you can see the size differences between the coves internal size.

thats the problem everyone thinks these engines have been exactly the same for 20 yrs but in fact there are quite a few small variations most of us are not aware of.
thanks

I will let you know

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to locate another set from a different motor and they fit. however they dont have the recirculation fittings but the do have the flat spot where they should be. I am going to drill out the new covers and reinstall the brass fittings in the new covers.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update,
I needed to flie down one of the covers that i used on #1 cylinder. I used some marking compound to find out where the internal cover casting was hitting the block. Instaled a new gasket and it seems to be runing fine with no gas leak.
FYI all eight covers i have are the same part numbers with the same casting marks for the top cylinders #1 and #3. However I do think that these covers were fit to each engine during assembly at the factory some 20-30 yrs ago.
thanks