Price difference E-Tech vs 4 Stroke same horsepower

farmertull

Recruit
I have been focused on getting a 4 stroke since I am glad not to have the 2 stokes I had as motorcycles in the seventies. Those things wound out and didnt last but I hear nothing but good things about the new Evinrude e-tech. The one question I have not asked is what is the difference in price between the etech and 4 stoke Yamaha or Mercury. I was under the impression the 2 stoke is cheaper but maybe i am wrong.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Price difference E-Tech vs 4 Stroke same horsepower

Best thing to do is check with all your local mtr dlrs for prices and comparisons.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

been running a 75 TEC since 2006.... just like the ESSO tiger..they are GREAAATE

my only beef....can't do much to adjust anything unless you have a laptop and OMC S/W in it. I guess we live in modern times yet, Iphone apps aren't out yet to adjust/diagnostic our ETEC's on a bluetooth or wifi link.

Somebody will think of it soon... just like me
(send royalties to CROSBYMAN)

Darn...can't even adjust the idle RPM

some motor have that adjustment at the finger tips.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

been running a 75 TEC since 2006.... just like the ESSO tiger..they are GREAAATE

my only beef....can't do much to adjust anything unless you have a laptop and OMC S/W in it. I guess we live in modern times yet, Iphone apps aren't out yet to adjust/diagnostic our ETEC's on a bluetooth or wifi link.

Somebody will think of it soon... just like me
(send royalties to CROSBYMAN)

Darn...can't even adjust the idle RPM

some motor have that adjustment at the finger tips.

Unfortunately, the days of being able to tinker with your own motor (that just sounds so wrong) are long gone with anything new. Computers, Computers, Computers... yuk!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

YuuuuuuuuuuuuuK is right !!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Etec is not your fathers 2 stroke.It is a direct injected 2 stroke and of course water cooled. your 2 stroke cycles were air cooled the life expectancy is shorter than a water cooled
motor. The Etec meets or exceeds all CARB requirements and is the designated motor on official boats on lake Tahoe.
No maintenance required for 3 years or 300 hours.No breakin period. I know the 25 and 30 hp motors have an electronic idle adjust on the tiller.The 4 stroke requires more service intervals and more complicated.
While most 4 strokes are fine motors they do have many many more moving parts than a 2 stroke.