1/4" Marine Grade Fuel Line: Where To Buy?????

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
My engines are getting old, and before I have a problem, I want to replace the fuel lines. The 1/4" line is no longer available from BRP. I've found Briggs and Stratton 1/4 " fuel line, but it probably isn't marine use rated. What do I need, and where can I buy it? Also what is the best fuel line to use in the larger diameters 5/16" in the engine compartment and 3/8" supply lines.

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1/4" Marine Grade Fuel Line: Where To Buy?????

If you have a West Marine around that would be the place to get supplies. Other option would be to pick up lines from a dealership from their bulk spools.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

any marina, West Marine, and many napa and car quests that are in heavy boating areas

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always used fuel line from NAPPA and never had any issues. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper then paying west marine prices.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mcmaster carr on fuel hose napa also has it H173 is 1/4 if i remember right

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier has discontinued 1/4" fuel line. The only 1/4" hose they still make is for the oil system lines. Their 5/16" and 3/8" fuel line has been re-designed to comply with 2013 EPA fuel regulations. (It has a special liner inside.) Most dealers sell it in bulk. Keep in mind that some engines have special fuel lines (under the cowling) that have a sharp bend in their configuration. You'll need to replace that hose with a factory hose- sold by a specific part number. Bulk hose can kink when bent around sharp corners-restricting fuel flow.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. West does have it. I did not find the hose on the NAPA site, but there is a store near my house. they probably have it, I just couldn't find it. I did notice that NAPA sells the Hellerman Tyton fuel line zip ties in both sizes.

emdsapmgr: I know what you are saying about the molded hoses. On the output of the pump you can use a longer piece of straight hose so it has a more gentle sweep and won't kink, but they got you on the short right angle one on the input side.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember one thing! Fuel lines MUST be Coast Guard approved! Standard SAE hose does not qualify!

Insurance companies are extremely critical anymore and if you have a problem, ie: fuel leak, fire or whatever you will be held liable to the extreme if non approved hoses or parts are used!!

Don't want to be a buzz kill but I've seen my share of boaters get raped by their insurance companies and or the CG when incidents happen....you may pay a bit more for approved parts but they are manufactured for a reason!!

Have a safe boating day!!

Larry

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey Greg ......iboats has it in 10 ft roll which is just enough to plumb carbs.
Low Permeation Fuel Line 1/4" X 10' - Sierra 116-368-0143 - iboats

Fuel feed- gasoline up to 85% ethanol blended fuels/ diesel/ bio-diesel all blends
Complies with EPA and CARB very low permeation requirements
Meets USCG Type A1-15 requirements for Pleasure Boats
Plastic barrier veneer with NBR outer layer tube to limit permeation. Polyester reinforced. Weather/UV resistant NBR/PVC cover.
Temperature range: -20?F to 212?F
Meets SAE J1527 Type A1-15
ISO 7840 Type A1
NMMA/CE type accepted

daselbee

Commander

Just a bit to add.....anyone use Sierra Silverado fuel line? The plastic barrier internal to the line delaminates, and if used on the suction side of the fuel pump, will collapse. NOW you are really talking fuel restriction.....:faint2:

The line as posted above by Fazt I notice has a plastic barrier, AND is manufactured by Sierra.....hmmmmm.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

All the 1/4" line is on the pressure side of the fuel pump, but point taken. Alan (Faztbullet) has mentioned that he doesn't use Sierra carb kits due to problems, and I had an issue with new defective Sierra piston rings. Gotta wonder about their quality.

daselbee

Commander

Greg...very true. I stay away from Sierra stuff. The powerhead base gaskets, (at least the ones I have compared), measure .015 thick.
The OEM base gaskets measure .045" thick. Three times thicker.
That's on a V6 looper and a V4 crossflow....
Also had trouble with carb kits.
But conversely, I have had good luck with the LU seal kits.
Anyway....totally off subject.