1971 Evinrude 50 HP Lark Selectric Remote Control Upgrade Question

etfcg

Cadet
Hi Folks,

I purchased a 1965 MFG Niagra 15 footer with a 1971 Lark 50 HP engine. The boat is in decent shape and the engine runs great! I am in the process of restoring/modernizing the boat and I would like to replace the entire Selectric Remote Control (i.e., Throttle, Shifter, Ignition Switch, Choke Switch, Motor Temperature Warning, and Push Button Selector Switch) with something a bit more modern looking. I purchased the following Motor Control:

Teleflex Marine CH1750P

I also purchased this ignition switch:

Ignition Switch - 3 Position

Afterward, I realized the Motor Control unit may not be capable of supporting some of the functionality built into the OEM Selectric Remote Control. I plan on mounting a separate 3 Position ignition switch on the dash, which I think will support all the the Ignition Switch and Choke Switch functionality. However, I'm still at a loss for how I can re-hook the Motor Temperature Warning and Push Button Selector functionality with this type of setup; or, if it that is even needed. Any advise would be much appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude 50 HP Lark Selectric Remote Control Upgrade Question

You are going down the wrong road. You need the push button switch to shift gears. Another option would be a Johnson control which has the shift switch integrated with the throttle lever.

The day is approaching when those shift switches are no longer available. They are already very expensive. When that happens I suppose we will be forced to rig up something else, with dubious safety.

etfcg

Cadet

The Push Button on the Selectric Remote Control only appears to shift between forward, neutral, and reverse. The Teleflex throttle is also advertised to support that. It seems all of the other forward shifting is done automatically. Are you saying the forward, neutral, and reverse functionality built into the Teleflex motor control will not hook up with the cabling in the existing Selectric setup? Thanks.

Capt Ken

Commander

Depending on the year determines which control you need. Not all electric shift controls work the same. Some apply power for N and F. Some for R and F. Then the latter ones did R and N.

etfcg

Cadet

OK,

So I basically need to find out if the Teleflex Marine CH1750P motor control is compatible with a 1971 50 HP Evinrude engine. Any idea where I can find that type of information online? Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'd say it is not compatible. There is a very slim chance they might make a shift switch for it, but I doubt it. Hey, the last Hydro-Electric motors were built 41 years ago. Your best bet is to go to the teleflex website Teleflex Marine || a global supplier of marine equipment for sports and leisure boats. and get the customer service number and call them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you have a working control box and a working electric shifting motor, you really don't want to mess with it. I'd recommend you stick with your current box.

etfcg

Cadet

Thanks for the advice folks!

etfcg

Cadet

Just wanted to post an update. I talked to the folks at Teleflex and they said the control should work as long as I buy a connection kit for pre-1979 evinrude engines. I am going to give this setup a try and see how it works. I will report back my findings.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How are you planning on accomplishing the shifting selection?

Capt Ken

Commander

The idiots at Teleflex customer service thinks everything is cable shift. They get the Deer in the Headlights look if you mention Hydro-electric shift. Hope he doesn't throw his old control box away.

I thought Evenrude quit using the name Lark before 71?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"Lark" was a 30hp, 35hp, 40hp until the twin cylinder 50hp came out. After that, it applied to the 50 through 1975.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Just wanted to post an update. I talked to the folks at Teleflex and they said the control should work as long as I buy a connection kit for pre-1979 evinrude engines. I am going to give this setup a try and see how it works. I will report back my findings.
It will not work. You have a hydro-electric gearcase which requires electricity to shift into neutral and reverse. The Teleflex control manipulates mechanical cables and does not have the shift switches required.

etfcg

Cadet

Thanks for all the information guys! I can return the Teleflex contol box to Amazon. I haven't even opened it yet. Any suggestions on other controls that could be used to replace the Selectric control box currently installed? The existing unit is beat up pretty badly and I'd like to install something a little more new and polished looking that will work with the engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You really don't have that many choices. You can use an Evinrude Selectric like you have, or you can use a Johnson Hydro-Electric box. There were others, but you will find they probably are very rare these days.