1992 175hp evinrude spitfire question

crappiemadness

Recruit
Hi guys,
My boat motor quit awhile back and thought maybe you experts could give me some advice..I shut down on me on the lake and wouldnt turn over..I took it to a boat mechanic in town and he said the #4 and # 6 cylinders were blown..I guess one was a lot worse than the other.He priced me 2700.00 for a total rebuild and 1700 to fix the 2 blown pistons,reboring ect...I called him back and was going to have him rebuild it all and he said he didnt think it was necessary but we would put new rings on all of them..The cylinders blew because it got water in it somehow..Not sure why or how.He also suggested we get rid of the VRO pump and put a pump on to where I have to mix my gas..I dont have a problem with that...What do you guys think?..It was a low hour motor even though its a 92..What would you guys do?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1992 175hp evinrude spitfire question

you can buy used motors in that hp range for 2000-3000 all week long around here.. the ocean runners and ocean pros and intruders and fast strikes...all 60 degree looper motors that run good ....and then you could part out your motor...of course you would have to be diligent in surveying the next motor...

those prices seem fine and coorect.... though

i wouldnt do the rebuild unless I know how the water got in. there is another guy here who says the early 90's V6 omcs could have had a thin wall where water would eventually get through over time...I am not sure if your motor falls into that catergory or not.

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 175hp evinrude spitfire question

The other guy was mainly talking about cyl # 1 on that model mtr. It was a known prob back in those days. Have not heard as of yet of a water prob in #4 and #6. But on a mtr of this age anything can happen.