1981 115 Johnson exhaust cover.

James R

Commander
This motor is perfect, with almost no use, but water was leaking from the exhaust cover. Pulled the cover assy off and when I separated the two covers a piece of metal fell out. Either aluminum or zinc, very clean, about 1.5 inches by 3/4 and 3/16 thick. Rounded on one face with a *** on it and flat on the other. The corners are also rounded. I don't see anything it may fit into.
Any idea what this may be?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 115 Johnson exhaust cover.

A little difficult to understand your comment. When the both (inner/outer) exhaust covers are in place, there is hardly any room between them for this size object. Basically that space between is only sized as a water passage. On the 140 engines, there are factory-installed exhaust aluminum diverters in the exhaust chest. If the bolts break on this part, or if it fractures due to heat, parts of that diverter can loosen up and come out with when the inner cover is loosened up. Can you submit a picture for clairication?

James R

Commander

Thanks for the response Endsapmgr.
The only place that this can fit is the cavity at the tell tale port.
Hope these pics will help. Ready to reassemble.
Incidentally, just for interest,
this motor has no deposits in the waterways no carbon build up and the bores still have some crosshatch and are right in spec. No marks on the std pistons and it runs like a new one. Amazing after all these years.

Attachments

• DSC02015.JPG
    DSC02015.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02016.JPG
    DSC02016.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02017.jpg
    DSC02017.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'm not having much luck identifying your part, despite your clear pictures. It is not the part I made earlier reference to. You may have better luck on your own by going out to the factory exploded parts diagrams on the web and look for yourself. It's pretty easy to navigate thru and it's easy to make a hard copy of the diagrams for your engine for future repair use. Check out this website: epc.brp.com I'll be interested to know what you find....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Me too.............With that *** on it and it seems to fit perfectly could it be something that broke loose or a manufacturing screw up ??

James R

Commander

Of course the parts drawings don't show this . However I could see no harm in putting it in the position I think it came from so I did just that. Couldn't fit anywhere else.
Motor runs fine and the tell tale works fine. Certainly it is not a part broken off.
Could be a flow restricter but I don't see how much restriction it can achieve.
Thanks guys and if anyone does discover what the @%** OMC was doing I would be very interested to find out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I have a friend that used to work for OMC. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if he has an answer. I'll let you know if I find out anything. I'm as curious as you are.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I called this friend and he thought it might be a piece of the inner exhaust hsg due to a bad casting. If it's running okay and peeing, run it.

James R

Commander

Thanks for all the interest guys. Certainly does not appear to be anything that has broken off. Strange that it fits perfectly where I showed it. Motor runs perfectly.