Johnson 9.9 powerhead removal

merclund

Cadet
Hi to all I-boat experts

I have a 1979 Johnson 9.9 model 10R79B. I am currently in the process of removing the powerhead to replace a upper water tube grommet. I think I have removed everything to get the powerhead off but the throttle side of the motor is confusing me. When the powerhead comes out does the vertical control shaft on the throttle side slide up and out at the same time or is there something I should be disconnecting there also? I would rather ask you folks before I try myself. I have a manual (clymer) but it doesn't say anything about it. Also if anyone has tips to removing the powerhead if the gasket is stuck I sure would appreciate it. I do have all six lower and three upper bolts also removed. Thanks for all your help.

kbait

Commander
Re: Johnson 9.9 powerhead removal

Vertical throttle shaft just pulls out of the gear that's below it.

To loosen powerhead when gasket is all that's left, you can try 'bumping' w/rubber mallet/hunk of wood to try to rock it off.. if it won't loosen, I've re-inserted a powerhead base bolt most of the way and bang w/a hunk of wood to pop it loose. Don't use too much force, and move the bolt to different holes and try again. Usually works for me.. again, have the bolt most of the way in, and don't use too much force. I've also heard that you can use a thin chisle and wedge it between mating surfaces -you want to basically tap it in at the base gasket. You'll destroy the gasket, but perhaps not gum up mating surfaces. Try the bolt banging first, and just be careful w/force.

Good luck.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'v had a few power heads that were stuck pretty bad, I have found that taking a hot air gun and heating around the area helps a bit. Also the L shaped nail puller/ pry bars help, (the thin flat kind). I have also made a few small wedges out of a old nylon chopping board from the kitchen that is safe and sometimes helpful. good luck..

merclund

Cadet

Update

Thanks guys for the tips. I managed to gently work a thin screwdriver into the gasket at the front of the powerhead and it let loose. I will post what I find when I check the grommet.

Thanks again

merclund

Cadet

Hi again
I removed the exhaust tube and the grommet had swollen to half its normal inside diameter. I replaced it and have a couple of questions before reassembly. The grommet doesn't seat fully in the hole with the tube installed in it, it sticks a tiny bit above the flat edge of the exhaust tube that attaches to the powerhead. The water tube is correctly positioned in the exhaust tube. Is that the way it should be? Also the manual says to use gasket sealer when attaching powerhead gasket to powerhead but doesn't say anything about using sealer when installing the powerhead to the exhaust housing. Should I be using sealer at that step also when I attach the six mounting bolts? Thanks for all your help.

kbait

Commander

I remember that the new grommet did indeed stick out slightly. When tightened, it expands for a more positive seal. I never used any gasket sealer upon re-assembly, and no leaks/issues. I've replaced many powerhead gaskets on different hp J/E's and never used sealer, and never had any issues. Maybe they recommend the sealer to hold the gasket in place for install?

Good luck!

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Yes, the new grommetts protrude above the exhaust tube a little. It will seal well this way. I can't remember if I used sealer or not on the powerhead gasket. I probably did (sealer that comes with a brush in the lid), but I am sure it would work fine without it.

merclund

Cadet

Thanks guys for your responses. I'll be reinstalling this weekend and I'll report back. This site is fantastic!!

merclund

Cadet

Hi fellow I boaters

Well got everything put back together on this motor, looked everything over, wondered why the tell tale tube was loose. Oh yeah the nipple broke of the tell tale elbow, argh. If this wasn't my grandfathers motor with a lot of memories I think I would throw it out in the snow. Any ways ordered two new elbows from ********** and was just curious if I should run some teflon on the install. When I removed it I did'nt notice any teflon and I can't find any info on a search. All answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help, I will continue to update my progress

kbait

Commander

Shouldn't need the tape, unless it's still a bit loose at the orientation you want.