Is it necessary to paint my clean engine?

philgood

Recruit
I'm working on a complete rebuild of my 1971 Evinrude 25hp 25103S. I have it completely taken apart, and have been cleaning for days. Some dumbass sprayed blue paint over the entire engine . EVERYTHING was coated with blue spray paint.:facepalm: I used aircraft paint remover to clean the painted parts. Now that I have clean aluminum, I'm wondering if I need to repaint it? Is there any reason why I need to repaint the parts. The clean aluminum looks good enough for me.

1.jpeg2.JPG3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg

Thanks,

Phil

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Is it necessary to paint my clean engine?

I'm working on a complete rebuild of my 1971 Evinrude 25hp 25103S. I have it completely taken apart, and have been cleaning for days. Some dumbass sprayed blue paint over the entire engine . EVERYTHING was coated with blue spray paint.:facepalm: I used aircraft paint remover to clean the painted parts. Now that I have clean aluminum, I'm wondering if I need to repaint it? Is there any reason why I need to repaint the parts. The clean aluminum looks good enough for me.

View attachment 182284View attachment 182285View attachment 182286View attachment 182287View attachment 182288

Thanks,

Phil

One word...
Corrosion.

This is especially a concern of you use this motor in salt water. Even if you don't, sooner or later that shiny aluminum will dull, and may even build up some powdery "white rust".

If you like the look of bare aluminum, you could always clear coat the engine with a finish made for high temp engine applications.

philgood

Recruit

Thx Roger,

I'll get some aluminum color engine spray paint. I'm going for something like this...

DSC02005.jpg

Paint, and then clear coat.

I'll wait to get most of it put together first, then spray it.

My budget went from $150.....$200......$250...... Hopefully I won't go over $300 :cold:

I found the same motor on craigslist for $235 (2) 25hp Evinrude boat motors

RogersJetboat454

Commander

]
My budget went from $150.....$200......$250...... Hopefully I won't go over $300 :cold:

I found the same motor on craigslist for $235 (2) 25hp Evinrude boat motors

That's almost always how things go...
You may have gotten the same motor cheaper, but since you've had this one apart, you'll at least know shes in good shape both outside and in when your done fixing her up. ;)