What year did 200hp Evinrude change from Crossflow to Looper

Cdogtx

Cadet
Trying to find out what year Evinrude quit making the 200hp crossflow and changed to a looper style motor

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What year did 200hp Evinrude change from Crossflow to Looper

If memory serves me right 1986 was the first year of the looper

Cdogtx

Cadet

If memory serves me right 1986 was the first year of the looper

Thank you...I am looking at buying a 87' model, but before driving 2 years to see it just wanted to make it was a looper. This person doesnt know

Thanks, again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get a model # off of it and post it back on here. You'll get an answer. 2 years ?????????? 1984 was the first year of the looper. 120/140 models.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the casting numbers on the heads should be 331490 if so at least those are worth some bucks too.But yes 1986 was a looper in the 200/225 models.Just curious how much?

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

The model number should be stamped in the freeze plug on the back of the block near the top. The current owner should be able to tell you that over the phone. You can check the model number at shop2.evinrude.com.
1986 and 1987 were small bore loopers. In 1988 they went to the big bore design, along with numerous other changes.

dehydrated: Is there something special about those heads that makes them in demand?

Cdogtx

Cadet

The model number should be stamped in the freeze plug on the back of the block near the top. The current owner should be able to tell you that over the phone. You can check the model number at shop2.evinrude.com.
1986 and 1987 were small bore loopers. In 1988 they went to the big bore design, along with numerous other changes.

dehydrated: Is there something special about those heads that makes them in demand?

I meant 2 hours drive (not years). I guess I should read what I type. Thanks for all the info. By the way, I can get the motor for $1000 on a junky boat.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Is there something special about those heads that makes them in demand?
They are a small closed chamber head good for a 10 -15 psi compression increase when bolted on to a 3.0L, but you have to modify they water flow and t-stat to work properly.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please explain :Looper?
:Crossflow?