40hp Johnson Control box

Hott Corky

Recruit
Hellooooo!

Needing some major help with this motor.....40 hp johnson 1990 ET

I'm Trying to find a control box for this particular motor but i came across some issues.........

I came to find out it has 7 pins on the red plug (male)

P6040167_zps9aa97730.jpg

I have tried starting it with a control box i have for an evinrude (48 spl 1994) but nothing happens......probably because the (female) connector has 8 terminals.

When i bough the motor for parts, the seller tried to start it with one of his johnson motors control box and it cranked.

Whats the best way to go about this?!?!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40hp Johnson Control box

I can't say this with any authority because I'm not 100% sure I'm right, but I believe as long as the are both red, it will work. The extra circuits in the control cable are not needed by your motor, so they didn't provide pins for them. Probably something wrong with your control, like a bad neutral switch or something.

Hott Corky

Recruit
Re: 40hp Johnson Control box

I can't say this with any authority because I'm not 100% sure I'm right, but I believe as long as the are both red, it will work. The extra circuits in the control cable are not needed by your motor, so they didn't provide pins for them. Probably something wrong with your control, like a bad neutral switch or something.

Well i did find a diaphragm with the connector stating which pins are what...

OMC_RedAmphenolConnector_zps531efa95.png

7pin_zps8c0d4444-1_zps4d5ec738.jpg

I did check my manual to confirm it, and looking at both diaphragms I'm Missing the +12 V....Run/Start pin