91 evinrude 150 looper water in cylinders

boog09

Recruit
i have a 91 looper 150hp and im getting water in the top 2 cylinders on the driver side of the motor. im thinking blown head gasket but not real sure. the boat also use to run 71mph and now 65mph is all it has on a good day. dont know if the speed lose has anything to do with the water in cylinders. would like to know any ideas before i go digging into this motor and spending money. thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91 evinrude 150 looper water in cylinders

To be sure what you have a model # would help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have a leaker...the early blocks where bad about this as they leak at the glue lines, that why I will not rebuild one(60?) until I pressure test it first
PROBLEM:
Internal water cavity leaking into #1 cylinder.
Engine: 1991 & up carbureted 150/175 HP 60 degree V-6 Evinrude and Johnson outboards
Description: Approximately 25% of the 6V-6 blocks we test will show a leak into the #1 cylinder from the center water cavity underneath the regulator/rectifier. In certain cases, a leaking engine may develop a knock at around 3500 rpms. The sparkplug may also show signs of water, and the cylinder head’s combustion chamber, piston dome, and/or exhaust port may show signs of being steam cleaned by water. It is important to notethat some engines in the early stages of leaking may not show the mentioned symptoms and can only be detected by
pressure testing the block.
Cause: The leak develops from a thin section in the block.Due to engine vibration, varying pressures, expanding and
contracting, the aluminum cracks over time and causes water to leak from behind the sleeve.
Repair & Results: MarFab can provide its dealers with a remanufactured block or powerhead, or can repair the leaking
block by welding and re-sleeving.MarFab has been repairing 6V-6 leaker blocks since early
2002. Blocks are pressure tested after all work is performed to ensure proper repair has been made.
Limited Warranty: MarFab warranties its 6V-6 powerheads, blocks, and repairs for 1 year from date of purchase and/or repairs against
water leaking into #1 cyl from area discussed above.MarFab’s warranty is limited to repair or replacement of block only. Other warranties
may apply to a MarFab remanufactured powerhead. (See Mar-Fab powerhead warranty sheet)
TB0209
ORDERS or CATALOG REQUESTS: 800-476-1554 • Marine Fabrication, Inc. - One source for all outboard repair.
technical advice & support: 931-738-2815 • 931-738-2819 fax
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST
MarFab - One Source For All Parts And Services
Are You Seeing These Problems?
Please call (931) 738-2815 for pricing
Tech Bulletin

boog09

Recruit

the model number is e150gleis. and i have read the tech bulliten about the crack but im getting water in two cylinders instead of one. can i look at the serial number and tell if it is in that 25%. also will that problem cause me to loose top end speed.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

but im getting water in two cylinders instead of one.
It can leak into 2 cylinders, usually its number 1 and 3 an sometimes #2
can i look at the serial number and tell if it is in that 25%
No but the early models are more prone for this....
also will that problem cause me to loose top end speed.
Yes and it will cause piston and cylinder galding.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

is it that common on 1994 models? I just picked up a 1994 Intruder 150....i was told it had low compression in one of the cylinders...but sonce it looks absolutely clean, and runs and was only $200.,...I took it. I just brought it home today.

its too cold to do anything these days....but i thought i d ask since the post just came up.

is there a PREVETATIVE action that can be taken?

as i plan to purshace a 1993 johnson Fastrike 175 .....that is running fine...thats the reason i picked up this 150 as a possible parts supply in case anything went on the 175.

bob