6 hp johnson seahorse sailmaster

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Forum,
Have not been on for a while. Hoping to get some information on an outboard I bought today. The outboard is in outstanding condition, getting it home, upon closer inspection of the model and serial numbers, I am afraid I may have been taken advantage of. The motor cover shows clearly that this is a Johnson Seahorse Sailmaster, and I have no problem with it being an older model, as evidenced by the lower unit configuration, as I said, it is in great condition. The model number is J6SLCOB, and the serial number is B100173. The issue I have, is I did not realize that this motor is not an OMC product, that it is made in Belgium, NV. I do not know if the basic parts I am sure to need for an older motor like this are available, being foreign made. Were the basic parts like waterpumps, ignition parts, etc. interchangeable with the US made motors? Any info on year of engine and a source for parts is appreciated. I paid $350.00 for the motor, and am wondering if I got screwed over.:eek:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6 hp johnson seahorse sailmaster

The model number of J6SLCOB indicates that the engine is a 1985 6hp Sailmaster long shaft Johnson outboard, and you are correct in assuming that it was manufactured in Belgium. However, fear not as everything. every part of that engine is identical to the models manufactured in Waukegan by OMC.

Whether it is worth $350 or not... or more, sorry, I have no idea.

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Joe,
Can't thank you enough for the info, you have set my mind at ease. I was afraid that the parts might not be available for this motor, being foreign, but if they are all the same, it should be no problem finding what I might need. Can you recommend a good source for schematics and discount OEM parts?
Thanks again!!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Many models made for the European market were made in Belgium and most are identical to the US models. I use marineengine.com for the OEM diagrams. You can also use shop2.evinrude.com. I buy the common tune up parts and seals here at iboats.

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice

Just one more quick question. The motor has a decal stating mix ratio as 100:1. I thought that the mix ratio for OMC was 50:1. Any info is appreciated

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The jump to the 100/1 mixture was a major boo boo..... many overhauls resulted. Stick with the 50/1 mixture.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC did try the 100:1 mix for a short period, Willem. They found that there was a risk of internal corrosion in long term storage, so they went back to 50:1, including your model.

There was no problem with running the 100:1 mix, it just didn't leave enough film of oil inside.

The 100:1 decal should be removed if you can do it neatly, and mix your fuel at 50:1.