johnson 20 hp lower unit help!

sixsicsix19

Cadet
When testing the motor in bucket i noticed it was not pumping water out so i took lower unit apart to check impeller and it was in pieces. But before that i was gonna drain all the oil out the lower unit and no oil came out just alittle water! What can i do to see if the lower unit has allready been damaged from no oil or if its ok? i dont wanna spend alot of money on all the parts for the tune up to find out the lower unit is screwed up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 20 hp lower unit help!

Only sure way to find out is take it apart. If it was ran with no oil, there is real possibility of worn pinion bearing and forward gear thrust bearing. From there, it quickly gets worse. But this could be your lucky day. Take a look.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi six. I have a '66 20hp myself. It sounds like you need to take the lower unit apart and reseal it to make it watertight again. You will obviously need to change the impeller as well, just be sure to find any/all pieces of the old one before tying to run the motor again. It's not uncommon for them to get sucked up into/near the powerhead, so be sure you have no blockages in the water passages. You can test them by running water from the garden hose at med pressure up the copper water uptake tube in the lower unit. You should see it exit out of the main exhaust port on the back of the motor. If not, you probably have a blockage somewhere. Thankfully, both jobs are fairly simple, DIY projects. You can get a reseal kit and an impeller right here at iboats for about $20 each. Here are some handy links,

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/fastwin-lower-unit-seal-faq-277190.html

sixsicsix19

Cadet

If i was running the motor for like 10 mins while not in gear would it have damaged the lower unit since it didnt have any oil in it. I would hate to spend to much money rebuilding this motor just to find out the lower unit is now no good.

nwcove

Admiral

you wouldnt have caused any more damage to the lu running in neutral for ten mins, but a powerhead can get quite hot in ten mins without water. do a compression test before buying parts, post back with results.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If i was running the motor for like 10 mins while not in gear would it have damaged the lower unit since it didnt have any oil in it. I would hate to spend to much money rebuilding this motor just to find out the lower unit is now no good.

I would say the guys above answered this pretty thoroughally. You wont know until you open her up. Unfortunately, the problem wont go away.