Stern Bracket Replacement 1988 Johnson 9.9 J10RCCD - - Help with bolt removal

pikeman01

Recruit
I'm struggling trying to figure out how to replace the stern bracket on my outboard. My goal is to swap out the bracket shown below with another one that I picked up from Ebay, but I can't figure out how to get this bolt out. Is there a trick to removing this bolt without damaging the threads by "wacking" it with a hammer?

TRANSOM BOLT STUCK.jpg

The bracket shown is labeled as a 9.9 outboard on the serial plate. The one that I plan to swap out is labeled as a 15 hp outboard (1991 model). In the end, I hope to have my 15hp outboard have the appearance of a 9.9hp outboard.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Johnson 9.9 006.jpg
    Johnson 9.9 006.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson 9.9 005.jpg
    Johnson 9.9 005.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stern Bracket Replacement 1988 Johnson 9.9 J10RCCD - - Help with bolt removal

That shaft has to come out. However most are not that easy to replace. You may damage it in the process. There usually is enough paint/rust on the inner exposed parts that contribute to the problem.

My suggestion would be to remove as much inner paint/debris as possible. Then purchase a couple of new nuts the same size from a hardware/machine shop (so you do not damage the original nut). Spray a penetrating oil on all exposed areas of the shaft. Thread the new nut on so it covers the threads, then with a good sized hammer, drive it one way, which will loosen it. You may only get aslight amount of movement. Do the same from the other side, loosening it more. Then pick the side that seems to be more friendly to moving, loosen the nut about 1/2 way & drive more. Take a rod slightly smaller than the shaft & drive it all the way out. You may slightly damage the threads, but these can be chased to clean up for reassembly.

pikeman01

Recruit
Re: Stern Bracket Replacement 1988 Johnson 9.9 J10RCCD - - Help with bolt removal

That shaft has to come out. However most are not that easy to replace. You may damage it in the process. There usually is enough paint/rust on the inner exposed parts that contribute to the problem.

My suggestion would be to remove as much inner paint/debris as possible. Then purchase a couple of new nuts the same size from a hardware/machine shop (so you do not damage the original nut). Spray a penetrating oil on all exposed areas of the shaft. Thread the new nut on so it covers the threads, then with a good sized hammer, drive it one way, which will loosen it. You may only get aslight amount of movement. Do the same from the other side, loosening it more. Then pick the side that seems to be more friendly to moving, loosen the nut about 1/2 way & drive more. Take a rod slightly smaller than the shaft & drive it all the way out. You may slightly damage the threads, but these can be chased to clean up for reassembly.

Machinist,

Thank you very much for the guidance! I looked around your website and that's where I saw your suggestion to post here for hep. It is ironic that you are the guy to answer my question! I've bookmarked your site for future reference as there is a TON of information that will be relevant to my 9.9 and 15 Johnsons - - THANKS!

I'll take your advise and go to work on it this weekend.

- Dave