73 135hp evinrude solenoid help

Fizzerman

Cadet
I got a 73 135hp motor it didn't have a solenoid. I brought a solenoid but don't know how to hook it up. I have a battery plus and neg cable, cable from the starter, Two red wires together, one black wire, and two separate white wires.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 135hp evinrude solenoid help

First question I gotta ask you is did you buy the correct solenoid or did you go to an auto parts store and buy a car solenoid? A car solenoid will destroy the safety switch in a nano-second. The safety switch may already be destroyed, reason the guy removed the solenoid. Destroyed or non-working safety switches are WAY more common than defective solenoids.

OK, red cable from battery and smaller red wire go to one big post on the solenoid. Doesn't matter which one except for fitment. Red cable to starter goes to the other big post. White wires go to the two small posts on the solenoid. Doesn't matter which ones. Black wire??? Don't know, it doesn't go to the solenoid. Probably ground it.

Fizzerman

Cadet

I got the solenoid for the motor from a boat shop. What does the safety switch do and if it don't work what happens?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The safety switch prevents you from starting the motor with advanced throttle. If bad or out of adjustment, the starter won't crank.

EDIT: The 1973 will crank and start in gear. The safety switch prevents you from starting it both in gear AND at high throttle.....and running over the dock or worse, a swimmer.

EDIT EDIT: I retract my statement. If equipped with the proper control, the 1973 models won't crank in gear. However, the safety switch remains to keep you from cranking it at excessive throttle.

Fizzerman

Cadet

Ok thanks for the help. I hooked it up. I tested for spark and not getting anything from coil 1and coil 2. Coil 3 and coil 4 are good.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It has to be cranking a minimum of 200 RPM to have spark. Try it with the spark plugs removed (it will crank faster without compression). If it then has spark, it is either cranking too slowly, OR the stator under the flywheel is bad. Most 1973 stators went bad so it may have already been replaced. Look for goo running down from it.

If none of the above, other possibilities are bad power pack, or bad timer base, or bad coils. Proper troubleshooting is in order with a DVA meter, or start replacing expensive parts that may not be bad.

Fizzerman

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Yep there is goo running down from the stator.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well there ya go......It happened to everybody sooner or later. I assume iboats has a new stator, but I'll let you do the searching.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd still test the stator output voltage with a DVA meter before replacing it to Prove it's bad. I've seen stators with goo and they still worked. You may have another problem.

Fizzerman

Cadet

Well i played with it today. I pulled one spark plug at time and turn the motor over. I got spark from each plug. I also got a compression tool this weekend. Cylinder 1 140 psi, 2 130, 3 135, and 4 125. Are this good numbers? How do i find out what the compression is on a brand new motor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Number 4 is right on the edge but may be okay with a decarb. There are no specs on compression. They shouldn't vary over 15 psi per cyl.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A decarb is either running seafoam or BRP engine tuner through the carbs and letting it sit for a period of time. The decarb frees up any stuck rings due to carbon build up.