35hp johnson solenoid clicking

outback32

Cadet
I have a 79 35hp that won't. Start it just clicks at the solenoid. Yesterday I replaced the small wire on the bottom of the solenoid.the one that runs to the opposite side of the engine and has a spade connection. Any help is appreciated

64osby

Admiral
Re: 35hp johnson solenoid clicking

Get out the multi meter and test the starter and solenoid.

If you don't have a meter bypass the solenoid and see if the starter spins.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes, a single jumper cable to the starter should spin it.

The "majority" of starter problems are also caused by corrosion on the connections and inside the main leads. Corrosion will rob your system of power by raising the resistance in the wiring. Annually I strip all of my electrical connections and sand them off and re-attach them.

outback32

Cadet

I fixed the problem I forgot to put the little washer back on the solenoid stud when I replaced the wire. It spins fine now.but now I have another problem.when I crank the engine I hear a real faint sizzle at the battery and no the terminals aren't crossed the leads look real old could this be the problem or is it something else

64osby

Admiral

Poor connection or bad wires, sizzle would tell me something is about to melt down.

outback32

Cadet

Do you think the leads are wats doing it. And wat would be making a bad connecton

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with 64osby above + 1...........