Jack up HP on 60's vintage Evinrude E10 ?

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure exactly what the year of manufacturer is - but I'd like to.

The serial# is: 10020-1107D

Info on the squareish fiberglass hood is: Evinrude E10 Sportwin 10HP

late 60's evinrude e10 10hp 1.jpg

late 60's evinrude e10 10hp 2.jpg

I've seen discussions that mostly revolve around the "low profile" 9.9HP Evinrudes and Johnsons with an eye toward swapping out carbs and installing carbs from 15HP versions. <-- Those conversions seem both simple and economical.

My motivation harkens back to the late 60's when I got my 1st boat: a hand-made 14' plywood semi-vee runabout powered by a 12HP Brooklure: Made by OMC (I think) and sold thru the Spiegel (Chigago) store.

With me at a trim 165# fresh back from Germany and still in the AF with a shiney new German girl/wife - with terrific figure especially after birthing our infant daughter a year earlier @ around 125#. Let's audit the rest of the load: Cheap styrofoam cooler w/ice (that should NOT be subjected to bug spray), loaded with maybe a 12-pack of canned Cokes, a 5th of green label Jack Daniels, two generously-sized burgers along with pickles, cheese mustard, ketchup and enough home-made German potato salad to feed us 2 adults. There was some baby formula as I recall, but not a lot. A 15# mushroom anchor, a full 6G steel fuel tank filled with 24:1 mix parked up under the deck and connected with a single ~10' hose. I bought the boat/motor/trailer from an NCO I worked with who was hurting for tax money for $250. The boat & trailer didn't play well together because the forwardmost roller was set too high, and over time tying down the front of the boat created what I believe is called a "hook" (dent) just aft of where the front curve flattened to the bottom. The boat didn't have the "slickest" of hulls.

Still, that dood would get up on plane without hesitation and run at an estimated 18 - 25 MPH to my rookie/uneducated eye. At one point I used a board I'd found floating - maybe 6" X 5', as a slolom water ski using the anchor line as a ski rope. Slolom style, that outfit pulled me up onto plane as slick as you please with my wife driving.

Thereafter we anchored under an overhanging cliff (Lake Harrington,KY), where I set up the small, cheap, rectangular charcoal grill, squirted way too much starter fluid onto the charcoal that I'd previously loaded into the grill, lit that critter, made fresh Jack & Cokes for me & spouse as the charcoal lit and we just absorbed and enjoyed the day prior to making two picture perfect and deliriously delicious cheeseburgers on properly toasted buns.

I searched for an image and failed, but if you can imagine an OMC-made Johnson/Evinrude/Gale that had port and starboard clamshell halves, then you're on the right track.

I'd like to kick this 10HP up to 15 or even 18 HP.

Anybody have any experience with a similar effort? If so, kindly spill yer guts.

Thanks.
Jim J Geezer.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Jack up HP on 60's vintage Evinrude E10 ?

Not going to happen. Only way to get more ponies is to get a bigger motor... Your 10hp is about maxed out, as is the lower unit, which is the weak spot on those motors.

FYI - your motor is a 1960 model year.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

An OMC 25hp of the 1970's is about the same size and weight as your Brooklure. That oughta get you what you want. Sounds like you already have everything else a guy could want.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the more outstanding characteristics I love about this forum/community is that when a question gets posed, not only do direct and well-informed answers spring forth, but also frequently accompanied by supportive and quite useful ancillary information.

To summarize this thread's question, for example:

The 2-part question compares favorably with my favorite largemouth bass lure: A 6" black rubber worm with a flat paddletail, Texas rigged weedless with a 1/16th Oz bullet slide sinker, a shot rattle and THE killer addition: A skinny length of white pork rind cut so it won't extend much/any past the tail. I know a longer tail might get me more strikes/action, but I want to discourage short strikes.
This lure is easy to deliver, creates an audible presence and visual flash.
Full disclosure: I'm not a trophy or tournament fisherman. My aim is to pack the freezer and make folks salivate and smile as they gaze down at their dinner plate.

A brief off-topic aside on pork rinds: I know only of Uncle Josh as a pork rind producer. I went shopping for a jar of my favorite ~4" long, THIN (~1/32") and skinny V-notched tail white pork rinds. Alas, it seems they've gone the way of the condor. Uncle Josh doesn't make them any more. Their thinnest product is now ~1/4". Yes. I called the company just last month. So for bonus points, if anyone can lead me to a source, foreign or domestic, I'd certainly be grateful.

So much for establishing fish bait as an analogy to a tech question. :laugh:

Part 1: Can I jack up the HP on this engine?

Answer: No.
Bonus: Included the basic 'why' to support the answer.

Double coupon bonus #1: weak lower unit
Double coupon bonue #2: weight = 76#
Part 2: Year of manufacture?
Answer: 1960

Folks? It just doesn't get much better than ^^that^^.

Now I want all of you to pat yourselves on your backs until you wrench yer shoulders outta joint. :lol:

Thanks guys. :)
Jim J Geezer

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Jim, I don't know anything about your motor but your post was very well done and I enjoyed reading every word!

Bis sp?ter

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your 60 10 hp is about 67 lbs. The mid 70s 25 hp is only about 87 lbs.
Todays new Evinrude Etec 25 is about 144 lbs.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Waterman! ;)

I TRY to write with a light, conversational style.

kfa4303

Banned

Here's a great link on the old 10 hp OMC motors. I used to have a '61 Johnson myself. I did have to change the clutch dog, but it was a very zippy motor for its size/weight.

Johnson