55 HP Johnson throttle linkage questions

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All

Recently bought a boat with what I have been told is a 50-55HP Johnson Commercial engine (thanks to those here who helped identify this)

I ran it to day and whilst it ran well, the throttle was tricky, in that it was very sensitive and when more throttle was applied it would accelerate and decelerate okay but was hard to select the speed, ie when you throttled back it would respond then slowly throttle back a few know in speed and vice versa for accelerating (hope that makes sense?) It has a Ship master control box which is nicely greased and the cables move smoothly. I have looked at the throttle linkage on the engine and it looks like the conversion from tiller to forward controls are a little bastardized?

My 2 questions are this, in the attached pic, what should the cable connection look like (I am assuming what I have is not what it should be? and the pin that runs in the curved cut out in the same pic is considerable smaller than the groove it sits in and has a lot of slop, is this right or should is be a lot snugger fit?

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers, Fletch

Attachments

• throttle linkage.jpg
    throttle linkage.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 55 HP Johnson throttle linkage questions

You are correct. The end of the throttle cable is missing. The roller also does not look right could be just worn out. Unfortunately my 50hp is covered under a tarp and snow at the moment so it would be hard to get you a picture of what it should look like. But the end of the throttle cable should have a plastic end on it that has a hole were it either fits over a pin with a retainer or gets thru bolted.

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 55 HP Johnson throttle linkage questions

Thanks Bonz

I assume I remove the bolt with the red washer and the new cable fits there with a bolt or pin that you mention? going to replace the control cables so I guess it will be apparent when I get the new ones. Ill find something to replace the roller as well as it has a crap load of slack in it so that should all help with being able to select the throttle speed easier. If you could get a pic when the snow is gone that would be really helpful, being from Perth Australia, snow is something we see on TV!

Thanks