Tempo Flushette question

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a question about the Tempo flushette. I know it attaches over the screen on the port side of the fin extending down from the cavitation plate. Is that the ONLY water intake for the '76 25 hp Johnson motor? I found something that may work instead of the flushette and tried it on my motor. The spray coming out was warm to hot. I don't know the correct terminology but the leg extending up from above the cav plate to the powerhead was quite hot but not hot enough to burn my hand. Is this normal?

Am I correct in where it attaches to the motor?

Many thanks,

Barry

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tempo Flushette question

Could you post a pic of it ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The flusher you have installed on the "leg".

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boobie.......here is the link to the flusher: http://www.**********/parts/detail/honda/H-06190-881-860.html Iboats won't let me post the link. It's a product called a Honda Water Mouth Kit, part no. 06190-881-860

I didn't have it installed on the leg. It was installed covering the screen in back of the prop which I believe is the water intake. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same place that the flushette was installed. It covered the entire screen with no leakage with my hose turned on.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That obsolete Flushette attaches to the older OMC & other motors of the era the poster is referring to. It clamps on the front of the skeg, uses a rubber gasket as a seal & when attached to a garden hose pushes water into the screened water pickup tube for use when running like we now know of using "muffs".

On those era OMCs (at least in the 6-10 & older 15-18hp motors) has a stainless sideplate about 1" X 3" (which has a few small outward scooped inlet cups) on the LH side facing forward above the cavitation plate. I have see replacement plates made to accept the Mercury 3/8" X 16 thread garden hose adapter commonly used to flush outboard jets.

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The way the Flushette attaches is exactly the way the Honda Water Mouth Kit attaches. The sideplate on my 25 hp is 1" x 5" and has 3 holes in it with no scooped inlets, just holes. I don't know if those holes are part of the water inlet system or not or even what their purpose is.

The Water Mouth Kit worked perfectly.......I just don't know whether the leg should be getting that hot or not.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thank you Barry! I have been looking for a replacement for the old flushette. Someone stole my old one (with a few other things...)

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Barry! I have been looking for a replacement for the old flushette. Someone stole my old one (with a few other things...)

tx.......when you were using the flushette, did the leg (I wish I knew what the heck it's called) get hot?

Edit: the "leg" is the exhaust housing assembly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the mtr is pumping water okay and the power head is not overheating, use it. The exhaust leg will get a little hot when out of the lake.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Boobie stated, the exhaust housing is normally helped cool by the lake water, which you now dont have. I wouldnt run it for an hour or anything, but for testing should be fine as long as the powerheads temp stay below critical.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Yes, I seemed to remember the leg getting hot. It is normally submerged in the water so we don't normally notice the heat.