1998 115 Johnson Overheat Buzzer Question

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In another thread I asked about getting the "no oil" light and buzzer to shut off. I believe I've successfully done that. However, in checking to see if the overheat buzzer will go off if the motor gets hot, I can't get the buzzer to sound. I tried grounding both sensors individually from the harness side (tan wire) with the key on. The buzzer is new and sounds everytime the key is turned on.
My question is where to start the check? Is the problem more likely to be in the wire loom somewhere or maybe in the system check gauge I just bought?
Thanks in advance for any input.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 115 Johnson Overheat Buzzer Question

My auto mechanic buddy and I plan to check continuity of the tan/blue wire through the wire harness. I feel like it has 12 volts at the connection on the buzzer side of the harness, but was not able to confirm in a quick check this morning but I may not have grounded my test tool properly. However, when the key switch is first turned on, the buzzer goes off as it should, so I know it at least has power right then.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The overheat sensor grounds to set off the alarm. If the alarm circuit has a bare spot on the wire, the buzzer will sound. Disconnect the overheat sensors and see of the buzzer turns off.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My auto mechanic buddy and I plan to check continuity of the tan/blue wire through the wire harness. I feel like it has 12 volts at the connection on the buzzer side of the harness, but was not able to confirm in a quick check this morning but I may not have grounded my test tool properly. However, when the key switch is first turned on, the buzzer goes off as it should, so I know it at least has power right then.
Actually, it's a white/blue wire that connects the systems check gauge to the buzzer and a tan wire that runs from systems check to the sensors. I fixed the situation by jumping a wire from the white/blue to the tan behind the systems check gauge. Now the buzzer sounds at startup as it should and sounds when the tan wire is grounded at the power head with the key on.
Chris, thanks for the input. I stated that the buzzer goes off everytime the key is turned on. I meant that it does the system check beep then goes back off as it is supposed to. I think the situation is resolved now. Not the fix I would have used if my VRO was hooked up, but this works as I only need the buzzer for overheat situations.