63' 18hp Johnson (exhaust port)(s)

17ft'r

Seaman
Started up this engine, first time in 7 - 12 yrs (as I hear).
Everything went great. Water was coming out the (exhaust) port which is great and the motor ran great.

After a few controlled start/stops, I restarted and noticed there was no (visible) water coming out the (exhaust) port as there was earlier.

I noticed (alot) of (dirt/dirt & oil) globs in the barrel after circulation, so I'm thinking probably a (clog)?
I am just not sure where to look.

Is there only (1) water intake?

Any info is appreciated,

17ft'r

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63' 18hp Johnson (exhaust port)(s)

Running a 2 stroke in a barrel will make a mess. That is normal.

That is not to say that you dont also have a leak in the gearcase. Ill assume you changed the oil with new gaskets? Crack the bottom drain screw. If there is water in there, it will come out first.

Now regarding the water pump, did you change the impeller? If so, there may be some debris in the cooling circuit, OR the impeller key may have sheared, OR the water intake is clogged, OR the motor is not deep enough in the water, etc...

If you did not change the impeller, the answer is easy. It was dry rotted, worked momentarily, then broke. I hope you can find all the pieces if it did fall apart.

There are really 2 locations for water intake, 1 for fwd and 1 for reverse.

17ft'r

Seaman

I did all the water pump seals/gaskets and put in a new impeller.
In looking around further it seems there is not alot of ability to visualy look up inside any port. The water intake that is behind a rectangular plate attached w/2 screws shows nothing when I take the plate off and the other port the one with the (tube w/screen in it looks like all I have to do is wipe it off, so I don't think that is the problem.

I guess I'll take a look at the thermostate and replace it and start the engine up one more time and see if a barrel of fresh water will show up any (dislodged) gunk, if that doesn't help its time to drop the lower end..........again.

Thanks for your answer,

17ft'r

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The plate with the 2 screws is the intake for reverse, which is why the slots face rearward.

The intake port with the mesh is the main water intake.

Did you have the motor submerged so that the water line was almost up to the exhaust port? It needs to be, the water pump is not self priming and needs to be completely submerged.

Was it an OEM impeller or aftermarket?

17ft'r

Seaman

Yes it is totally submerged. I guess I should be asking , how many ports to expell the water? the exhaust port that is above the water line?
I was just wondering is there any other port the water would be expelled from that I'm not seeing. I really think not. Like I said the water was coming out then noticed it just stopped.

Last edited:

17ft'r

Seaman

Yes this is a very imformative site. I've got alot of guidance from here.
Thanks,

17ft'r

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes the exhaust/spent cooling water should be exiting from that port that is a couple inches above the water line.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You didnt mention, was it an OEM impeller or aftermarket?