Evinrude Johnson 1990 225 Looper LAST RESORT flywheel removal tip

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Everyone,
I made a discovery today (i think??) that hopefully will save you alot of time someday. I restore late 80-early 90's crossflows and loopers as a hobby so I am quite familiar with them. Lets say i am a professional amateur. So I got this 1986 225 Looper. The scary thing was it was lowered by the flywheel from a 20ft loft only to discover that there wasnt even a flywheel nut on it! My blood drained to my feet for a second at the thought of what could have been. Well my fear was short lived as I attempted to remove the flywheel. Puller, heat, freezing, acetelene torch, soaking in PB Blaster, hammers, wedges, pry bars, all while the motor was 2 inches off the ground lifted by the flywheel and NOTHING! I had a 20 inch pipe wrench on the base of the puller and a 1/2 inch drive with a 24 inch extension on the center bolt, to the extent that I bent the center bolt a bit and NOTHING.
Well now the flywheel was trashed anyway so it was time to get mideval. I tried a grinder with a cut off wheel thinking I could some how score it near the nut to at least cut the bulk of the flywheel off so I could get the stator and timing base off and work further. That didnt work out well.
So what worked? A 2 inch hole saw with the middle drill bit removed. Took a while but turns out its only .55 of an inch thick of aluminum at that area. Yes, I still have to get the nub off of the crank, but at this point I am not concerned as i can get the stator and timing base off, and if I cant save the crank I have about 3 others. I didnt want to open the cases on this one but If I have to it wont hurt to throw in a new set of rings and de carbon the pistons.
obviously this is a last resort tactic but man was I relieved to see that piece of flywheel come off. I wasted HOURS trying to get it off and the thought of junking a very nice restorable motor because of a flywheel was bothering me. I hope this helps someone someday.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Johnson 1990 225 Lopper LAST RESORT flywheel removal tip

Usually in cases like yours, either the flywheel key sheared and jammed the crankshaft taper or someone used an impact gun to overtorque the flywheel nut and deform the area where the tapers lock together.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

any pics ?? just so us novices know what exactly went on...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I have removed those jammed flywheels by drilling a line of small holes starting at the keyway notch and working outwards. The metal hub will either crack and will easily be removed or you can use a chisel in the line of holes to accomplish the same thing. Do not hammer on the crankshaft as the blows will be transmitted to the ball bearings at the bottom of the crankshaft and flatten the balls slightly. The motor may start a loud whining sound when running, the bearing may shatter, or the crankshaft could get deformed between the connecting rods.

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the idea Seahorse, I will keep that in mind if I am ever faced with this problem again. I think it is too late for my bearings as I have beat the hell out of the flywheel. Im probably going to change the upper and lower bearings anyway. I just dont want to take the chance. This motor is in great shape as there is not even a single score line in any of the cylinders and the compression is around 85 a cylinder cold.
Its not over yet, I still have to get the remaining piece off of the crank but at least with the timing base out of the way Ill have room to work.

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_1470.jpg
Long bolt to act as stopper so flywheel wont spin

IMG_1471.JPG
Hole saw setup, notice no center drill bit.

IMG_1474.JPG
It took about 15 minutes. I would suggest vacuuming often as the saw loads up quickly and slows progress

IMG_1475.JPG
The battered flywheel cut through

IMG_1477.JPG
Whats left to remove

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude Johnson 1990 225 Looper LAST RESORT flywheel removal tip

IMG_1490.jpg
Here it is just as it finally cracked and released. I cut as much as I could with a cut off wheel but then I had to drill the rest with a cobalt bit. what a job!

IMG_1492.jpg
Here is the key. Everything looks fine. I cannot understand or believe how this flywheel held like the way it did. I dont see any indication as to why.

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

I believe the flywheel must be cast out of two pieces. The part above is definitely steel while the rest of the flywheel is aluminum. I guess they take a steel hub and cast aluminum around it?

This was definitely an experience. The crankshaft bearings are going to have to go as I beat the hell out of the collar to get it to crack. All and all im glad its off.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that just loooked like pure torture..well done on the ingenuity all the same.

Captain Koz

Seaman Apprentice

Fish Features... pretty much was torture... and the photos show the end of the road. There was ALOT of "typical" methods employed before it came to this. I am amazed how well it held. I didnt have a choice as there was no other way to move forward without the flywheel coming off. I may have been able to split the case and extract the crank but I would have left a stator, timing base, and upper gear housing under the flywheel thus skyrocketing the cost of the renovation. I figured I would post it being it was such a unique happening. In hindsite, as a prior poster wrote, I probably could have strategically drilled and cracked it but the success in that would be very well placed holes. Remember the crank is on a taper and I would not want to drill the crank. Turns out the crank is a much harder steel as the drill stopped cutting when the tip hit the crank. All is well and I will pick away at the rebuild for a May finish.