1979 Evinrude 35 Horse Shifting/Control Cables

WTL

Seaman
Hi folks,
I ran my 86 28 SPL till it was dead, and just picked up a 79 'Rude 35 horse to replace it.

I am trying to use the same control box from the 1986 motor, which was a one lever box.

Took it to the river today, and it had a little trouble shifting between reverse, neutral and forward. It seems almost as if the range of the control cable is not enough to hit the right spot to get it into forward when its in neutral. Sorta like the area that comprises neutral is way larger than it was on the 28.

In doing a little research on the cables, it seems there was a change in the cables around that time. SO, my question is, am I definitivly trying to use the wrong box/cables, or is there more likely some difficulty with the lower end?

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Evinrude 35 Horse Shifting/Control Cables

The control box should work fine. If no mechanical linkage exists with the replacement engine, perhaps the cable needs adjusting, as follows.

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

WTL

Seaman

Thanks Joe,

it turned out to be the set screw on the arm was slipping. I replaced the screw and tightened it down good and thats all working now.

I have a couple other quick questions -

Did a 35 Evinrude with electric start come with a charging capability? I've never had an outboard that did.

Also, I have an old tach left over from another motor, I think it came with an old 63 60 horse evinrude....can that be installed on this motor?

prentice1024

Cadet

Thanks Joe,

it turned out to be the set screw on the arm was slipping. I replaced the screw and tightened it down good and thats all working now.

I have a couple other quick questions -

Did a 35 Evinrude with electric start come with a charging capability? I've never had an outboard that did.

Also, I have an old tach left over from another motor, I think it came with an old 63 60 horse evinrude....can that be installed on this motor?

I upgraded my rope start 1984 35 hp to electric start, charger, etc. To add the charger you need a stator and rectifier, as well as miscellaneous mounting hardware. See # 6 and # 24 at http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1984/E35RCRR/IGNITION/parts.html . It's in the ignition section at the top of the motor, so you will have to pull the flywheel to get to it.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If it is an electric start model it shouls have those parts already. I do not believe that old tach will work on this engine, 2 different types of ignition systems.