Sticking throttle linkage '86 15hp Johnson

Diddybop63

Recruit
I recently started having problems with the throttle linkage (tiller handle control) sticking on my '86 15hp Johnson. I have never experienced any problems with this, I have been told the vacuum advance and throttle are tied together. Can anyone give me some clues as to what might have caused this problem. I use my boat very often. HELP!! I'm missing some prime basing.

kbait

Commander
Re: Sticking throttle linkage '86 15hp Johnson

Vacuum advance? That's a new one.

Take off the cowl, in forward gear (not running) and observe what's happening when you operate the throttle. Should tell you what/where it's messing up.

Good luck

nwcove

Admiral

you could always disconnect the cable under the cowl, and see if the twist grip is still stiff. just to help narrow down where the issue is.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like nwcove says, you need to locate the problem. It would be good if you popped the cable end off the coupler ball at the timing plate connection. This would give you an indication as to whether it is in the tiller handle unit or the timing plate area. I have never seen one of these cables go bad.

I suspect it is inside the tiller/twist grip handle. You can remove the handle by simutaniously depressing the 2 opposing detents in the rearward section of the plastic handle, while pulling the handle off. Inside you will see a cross shaft that connects to the cable. This cross shaft slides in spiral cut slots (which retract/extend the cable). I suspect the slot/cross shaft area's grease has dried out, creating your resistance.