Rebuilding twin 1879 Johnson 70 ho 3cyl Need advice related to carb and control inst

Dr Zygo

Recruit
In my excitement to learn how to rebuild a pair of Johnson Motors mounted on a 1974 Outrage BW, I removed the carbs from both motors and sent them to a marine repair shop to be rebuilt. While removing the carbs, the entire engine control system was discovered to have outlived its use. Removed the open control twin box and four cables---the same styles were ordered. Now my question, since carb function and controls definitly affect each other, what system should I replace first? I would appreciate all advice and comments. Many Thanks

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilding twin 1879 Johnson 70 ho 3cyl Need advice related to carb and control

sorry m8t i dnt think you gonna find someone on here born in that year your motor was made ? ? for any advice

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Rebuilding twin 1879 Johnson 70 ho 3cyl Need advice related to carb and control

Going out on a limb and thinking these are 1979 Johnsons. But I could be wrong too.

Dr Zygo

Recruit

Going out on a limb and thinking these are 1979 Johnsons. But I could be wrong too.

bonz-_d thanks for your reply---you are not wrong, in fact it seems that you know the date of my Johnsons better than I can quote them. 1979 is the correct date. Much appreciated, Dr Zygo

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Not sure I'm following your original question. Rebuild carbs, yes good thing. Replacing throttle and shift cables also good if they are worn or sticky and stiff. If it's the linkages on the carbs then yes those also need to be addressed.