OMC Bearing Assembly Removal Tool? Looking for this

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
I have to pull my carrier bearing assembly to replace the bearing seal (part 0382408) for a 1979 85hp Evinrude (mo. 89995R).

I was told there is a special OMC tool that is basically a big long rod with fine threads on the end. I was told I could make one but I'm not sure what diameter the bolt is or the thread. I just assume buyt the tool and be done with it.

Can anyone help me find this tool? I was told I need to back one of the bolts completely out, then insert the tool to keep the backing plate in place when the other 3 bolts are removed. That way, when I remove the housing, it doesn't come apart or loose it's reference. Seems like a cool trick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Bearing Assembly Removal Tool? Looking for this

You need it for reassembly, not tear down. Pull one of the bolts out, figure out the size and make one out of a blank rod. When reassembling you screw the rod into the plate where screws screw into and use it for a guide for the rest of the screws. I made all of the ones I have. The prop shaft carrier only goes in one way. The backing plate is held in by snap rings and won't come out.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Is it "Puller bolts - 316982"? That's all I have in my manual.

I would like to make my own but don't have the time. I'd just assume order these if I cand find them.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made one for mine and it took a 1/4-28 thread

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

That's a fine thread correct? Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the tip. If it's that easy, I can buy a thread set. I may already have one.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1/4"-28 is a fine thread. 1/4"-20 would be for a coarse thread

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Does the bearing assembly slide over and all the way out over the bolts? Or do the pull/assembly guides bolts come out with the bearing assembly?

daselbee

Commander

Read post #2 again. The assembly tool you are trying to make is only used for re-assembly.
So to directly answer the question, NO the bearing carrier does not slide out over the "assy tool bolt thingy", because it should not be there anyway when pulling the carrier.

Check out the parts diagrams on shop.evinrude.com.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

OK. I'm just going on what my mechanic told me so may have misunderstood.

All I want to do is pull the assembly and replace what he called the carrier bearing seal. Manual call it bearing assembly. I don't want to tear down the assembly itself. I was told clips held the plate onto the end and the pull bolts (that's what my manual refers to them as) was used to pull and reinstall the assembly or carrier bearing.

My manual has a drawing referencing "pull bolts" and the part number above. The way I was told and understand it, you remove the prop, remove the prop bushing, then remove one of the 1/4" bolts, insert a pull bolt tool as a reference and the use a slide hammer or gear puller and pull the assembly. The plate stays in the assembly, I out in a new seal put the assembly back in using the pull bolt tool as a reference and alignment guide, and then install the 1/4" bolts into the assembly.

That's the general explanation I received. I understand its an alignment tool. I was told to use it for removal and installation and that's what the manual indicates as well. I just wanted to confirm of the part number I found was correct.

It appears I can make a tool from. 1/4" rod with fine thread. If I have a die set for that, I'll make a set.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

OK. I got it now. The manual is referencing a pully remover tool and the bolts I referenced and pull bolts are just that
They grab the housing and its used to pull the assembly. The guide rods is what the manual calls the alignment tool I'm looking for. That part number is 383175-guide pins.

So what is the seal I need to replace? Oil/gear lube was leaking out the bottom by the prop. The prop seal is good. The bearing plate has oil/lube all over it inside the lower unit indicating the seal is bad.

Is it the o-ring that needs replacing? My assembly drawing doesn't have a part number.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What color was the oil that was leaking out ?? What does you l/u oil look like ??

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Dark dark green/brownish color. No milky color like it has water in the lower unit. That's a good thing I know. There was nit a lot of lube leaking. It had 0 smell of fuel so it was all lube and not fuel mix. The lower unit lube had just been checked a few days ago before running and it was OK with the mechanic. Now that a leak appears, we feel its just am old o-ring seal. Should be an easy fix.

If the lube was milky or had any white cor or light tan or light green, it means water has seeped in. That's bad. I will drain the lube anyway and refill when changing the o-ring.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're on the right track. Could be the prop shaft brg carrier orings leaking. Seen it before.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a 1/4" steel rod for about $2.50 at Lowes. Turns out I have a tap and die set so I threaded both ends and I'll cut it in half and have two tools now.

I thought I could find the OMC tool online for cheap but boy was I wrong. Cheapest was about $35-40 for a small piece of 1/4" rod with some threads on it. That's insane.

Thanks boobie for your help. GREATLY appreciated.