68' Johnson Seahorse 20 hp lower unit oil queation

jbkay1988

Recruit
I have a 68' seahorse 20 hp outboard. Motor runs great but I don't know why it seems to be leaking oil from the lower unit. Its coming from a small hole just below the foil on the lower unit. Is this some kind of overflow? I have a picture to show exactly what I'm talking about but cannot post it on this site.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 68' Johnson Seahorse 20 hp lower unit oil queation

Its a drain hole for the exh housing. Its just unburt oil/gas mixture coming out

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What color is the oil ??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is a drain hole as stated. If it is a black gooey mess it is unburnt fuel/oil/water mix that is draining from the gearcase.

If it looks like gear oil, your ds seal or shift rod seal may be leaking. Especially if you notice this oil when laying the motor on its side.

jbkay1988

Recruit

What color is the oil ??

The oil is thick and milky colored. The local mechanic changed it and it did t leak for a few weeks but has started seeping out of the same place. Oil has a greenish tint. He said it could be just expanding with our hot then cold weather in Southern Texas. He also said it could be the shift shaft or lower unit seal. I don't really wanna pay $85 an hour to find out.