1988 90hp Johnson No Spark to Spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

619clippers

Cadet
Hello every one!

Rebuit a 90 hp jOHNSON 1988 two winters ago also completly rewired my 88 Montauk, new controler, new ignition swith new everything even new batteries. boat ran fine 3 months ago, sat for 3 months ,now no spark to the four plugs.Had a new power pack on hand and removed the old one and installed the new. Still no spark. Got power to the Starter so it cranks.. Any suggestions.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 90hp Johnson No Spark to Spark plugs.

just a sugestion take your timeing light put some crockodile clips on the end of the wires connect them to the stator there are only 2 wires that sends the power to the Nichon capsitor wich is rated at 630 volts witch is inside the power pack it yellow in colour but you cannot see it I know k .the stator pushes out roundabout 630 volts when at high rpm the capsitor stores this power & its only released to spark plugs when the sensors are triggerd off , when the key is turned on & motor spins over the timeing light will come on but not flash the flahing is caused by the sensors & In this case it wont cause you are not connecting the plug from stator to power pack< this will tell you the stator is working

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is your battery cranking the engine up to normal speed? The starter needs to crank between 200-250 rpm's in order to fire the ignition on that engine. You can test for a problem in the control box/cable harness by disconnecting it at the red plug inside the cowling. Use a set of automotive jumper cables to jump the starter. Check for spark on all 4 plugs. If you have spark, the problem is probably in the control box/cable assy. Both the stator and the timer base ouptut voltage when cranking. It can be measured with a special "peak-reading" voltmeter. The stator should output at least 150 volts, the timer base at least 0.3 volts. You will find some excellent troubleshooting tips on the web at cdielectronics.com.

619clippers

Cadet

I forgot to mention the other night I had come in the house, I had left the keys in the igniton with the key turned to the right. the motor was turning over by its self.????

619clippers

Cadet

control box/cable assembly, are you talking about the controler it self, or the junction type box bolted to the head covers/coil area???

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention the other night I had come in the house, I had left the keys in the igniton with the key turned to the right. the motor was turning over by its self.????
I would replace the key switch immediately. Bleve it or not I have heard tell of this problem before, and the key wasn't even in the 'run' position. As you say yours was.

Customer of mine who 'flips' alotta boats had a turd all polished up. Ready to go. Was sittin in the house'n thought he heard a motor turning over. Sure enough there it was slowly trying to start itself. I'd imagine if'n ya left the key in the run position & it did that the dang thing might actually start. And that would really suck ...?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've also heard of a starter solenoid doing this.

619clippers

Cadet

any ideas why Im not getting any power to my spark plugs,? could the key switch or the solenoid cause this

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As said above, go to CDI Electronics.com and look up trouble shooting for no spark.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

could the key switch or the solenoid cause this
No! Now wherever did you hear that? Sounds like you need a new stator or timer base or power pack.

(Sometimes I wonder why I waste my time ...)

619clippers

Cadet

Good job Boobie, found it. printed it, will trouble shoot tonight, thanks CDI is perfect trouble shooting info

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've also experienced a starter solenoid with stuck contracts. The starter was turning with the key off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

V153, a key switch could cause this if it's shorted out internally between the black yellow/ black wires.

emds, I've also had solenoids do that to me. Trivial question, what causes it ??

619, follow the procedure and you should find the prob. Good Luck.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Trivial question, what causes it ??
Moisture/humidity & the resulting contamination/corrosion? Worn out switch or solenoid?

Never had one start itself but I've had more than a couple refuse to shut off ...?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

My guess is that the older the solenoid, the more burned the internal contacts get. Once burned, they really don't transfer current properly. Sometimes this will affect initial starting-specifically cranking rpm's and power. Also, My daughter was driving her boat one day- finally shut it off at the dock. I heard something whirring inside the cowl. Removed it and the starter was just whirring around by itself with the key/engine off. It must have been still rotating from when she started the engine and left the dock the half hour before. Contacts were stuck closed on the solenoid. Needless to say the starter was pretty hot and I am sure the battery was somewhat weaker with that long, heavy current draw. New solenoid and everything was fine, incl the starter. I'm not sure it was the original solenoid, but it was on a 79 Johnson V4 and it looked as old as the rubber sleeve around it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

My guess is that the older the solenoid, the more burned the internal contacts get.
Thats correct but the reason this happens is the starter itself, the end bushing wears from carbon dust(brushes) and brushes wear down making the starter draw more amperage and is magnified with a weak battery or bad cables. The field & frame motors are the worst for this...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The contacts will get burned from a bad battery, bad cables or high starter draw. After enough burning they will weld themselves together.

Stevemister31

Recruit
I have an 1983 evinrude 90. That I cannot get to start. It turns over and over and over but won't spark. I have spark on all plugs, carbs a freshly cleaned, has fuel to it. Took it out for 2 days straight all day, went out on the 3rd day and when I shifted to neutral at about 10 mins in to the ride and it stalled and wouldn't fire?? I have a video of what it is doing but cannot post it. It will turn over pop and sputter, and stop. Sometimes it may run for a couple seconds but that's all!???

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Stevemister31, you may want to start your own thread, instead of piggy-backing on 619clippers thread. With two different subjects, it will be confusing to those of us who are trying to provide helpful answers. Having said that, check your flywheel key to be sure it has not sheared. Once it shears, the engine gets out of time with the crank, and it won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.