Evinrude 35 solenoid choke

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hello
I have evinrude 35 ecsm (1980)
I was hoping someone could please tell me when the choke is pushed in with the key does the solenoid just do one shot of fuel into the carb or if you hold the key in does it keep on pushing fuel through the choke pipe until you let go?IMG_1989.jpg
thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 35 solenoid choke

No, it is not just a one shot thing.

Engines equipped with a fuel primer solenoid setup.... The solenoid when engaged allows fuel to constantly flow thru it into the intake manifold area. Fuel flows thru the solenoid as long as the key is pushed in.

Engines equipped with a choke solenoid that operates a choke butterfly.... The butterfly stays closed only as long as the key is pushed in.

Last edited:

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same engine, and on it the solenoid does nothing but pull the choke linkage to keep choke butterfly closed. This creates more vacuum in the carb and helps it "to pull" more fuel as the engine rotates. I can see the linkage mounting holes on your carb body, but on the surface that "solenoid" in the picture looks more like a pump.
Maybe somebody has replaced the choke system, or these were equipped with different systems? EPC shows only the solenoid, linkage, and butterfly system though. I am having "issues" with the linkage system and could replace it with a primer system aswell...

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Likitvi
It definitely is not connected to the butterfly system on mine. There is a connector on the carb where the hose from this primer connects to. Im sorry i cant give you more information as the motor is currently in a car heading to another boat. I have included photos i took here while rebuilding it for reassembly. There looks to be a brown live wire to it from the wiring harness. I think the purple wire was the ground. There was one hose to carb from it and it looks like one hose from the intake manifold to provide vacuum i suppose. It looks like the big hose also by it but hidden under the little black hose was the fuel inlet hose perhapsIMG_1572.jpgIMG_1576.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Bosunmate, I don't know what you have, but according to the parts books, it is not a 1980 ecsm. ecsm has a solenoid linked to a butterfly. Best guess is that your complete powerhead has been swapped.

Nevertheless, your primer system acts like a valve to admit fuel as you crank it, as already said.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

F_R i see what you mean! All this time i was proud of my motor with its ecsm serial plate on the leg but it actually isnt. Looks like a 1986 or onwards

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In reading over the later replies after my original reply, and having it dawn upon me that it was stated to be a 1980 model, I edited my original reply so as to avoid confusion.