water leak on a evinrude v4 85 hp after over heating

pants

Recruit
Hi have a 85 hp evinrude and I got a belly full of sand in it after running aground now when I connect the earmuffs to flush the motor out i get a lot of water coming out the lower unit. I removed the lower unit and put a hose up the water inlet pile to the motor and water runs out the tell tail as well as back down the outside of the inlet pipe any idea as to what the problem is and how had would it be to fix Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: water leak on a evinrude v4 85 hp after over heating

Have you checked the water pump for any vanes missing ?? Did the hot horn go off ??

pants

Recruit

hi yes i pulled the water pump apart and the impeller was fine the horn did go off and i killed the motor straight away. Its like the inake pipe has a hole right up at the bottom of the motor or something the pipe will move around if wiggle it could there be a hole in the power head?
Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Some of those pipes had a hole drilled in them for extra cooling for the impeller hsg and prop. Pull the hoses off that come from the bottom of the cyl heads going to the thermostat hsg and the try your water hose trick again and see what happens.

pants

Recruit

Hi sorry about taking so long to get back been away I have soloved the problem by getting another motor thanks so much for your help it,s great to see other people so will to help
Thanks
Pants

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That hasn't exactly solved the problem has it,it just dodged around it.I wish I could afford to just go out and get another motor every time something went wrong,I'd have a shop full by now.

pants

Recruit

I dont think you cmments were called for but to reply maybe if you got off you computer and got a good paying job maybe you could efford to buy a motor once again thanks for your help