Boat Won't Turn Over, No Click, Battery fully problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice
Yall have helped me out tremendously with my last question regarding my carbs. Now I have another for you! And T

Went out to the river today after putting in 5 gallons of gas WITHOUT oil. I ran it for about 20 minutes before I had made a huge mistake and then trolled back to the dock, headed home, and straight to computer to see what I needed to do. I went to Autozone and bought some head gasket repair lube. I took the spark plugs out, put the oil in, and manually turned the flywheel several times. I poured some oil to make a 25:1 mix into the gas tank (lifted up the trailer several times to mix).

However, after I had done all this, I tried starting the motor but NOTHING happened. It would not turn over, and would not even click?!

I found a thread with these images:

pic 1.jpgpic 2.jpg

- I have power to Ignition Switch, and "A" at solenoid
- I do not have power to B/C
- I just replaced the solenoid about one month ago

I know, I AM AN IDIOT. I really cannot believe I put that gas in without oil. Is there a reason that the motor is not turning over because of the gas/oil problem? I wouldn't think so but never know.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat Won't Turn Over, No Click, Battery fully problem

Those images came from a post in the IO forum, it's not for an outboard, although it may be similar. Exactly what outboard do you have?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Check the fuse by the solenoid. Agree; post a model #.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

From his earlier posts: 'I recently purchased a 1978 85 HP Javelin outboard motor...'

Was it running OK when you shut it down???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Also check the battery cable connections on both the battery and the mtr for being clean and tight.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

It was running ok when I shut it down. Really didn't notice that anything was wrong until I remember that I forgot to put the dang oil in. It might have sputtered once or twice, but really nothing crazy. I never shut it off though. The battery cable connections and all connections are completely tight.

The connector from the ignition switch to the solenoid (the one with like 8-10 pins) does not light up when I check for power. However, the same wires that start in the ignition switch light up when I check. I don't understand how that can happen. Thanks for replies.

Model Number is 1978 85TLR78C.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any chance you have a kill switch that got disconnected?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It should still turn over if the kill switch is disconnected. Unless it's a Japanese model.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

is it in neutral all the way? mine did that and i got upset worried:confused:, and the shifter was in the middle but with the slack wasn't quite in neutral:embarassed:. i was releaved when i discovered this and she fired up:joyous: the trama of being out on the water stranded for that moment prompted me to add a kicker. yours is a year older than mine, it may shift different i think

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Well when I was on the water it was running great. I then shut te key off and I tried once more to start it but nothing happened, no click or turnover. Forgot to mention that.

Also, when the kill switch is taken off it will not turn over or click at all. That has freaked me out several times. Thanks!

I'll check the neutral again but I'm almost positive it is. I've wiggled it and tried in other positions.

The kill switch is still attached and taking it off does not change anything. Honestly it's acting like the kill switch is not attached.

Any more ideas?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Honestly it's acting like the kill switch is not attached.

Any more ideas?

Examine all the wires, you might have worn through the insulation and have a ground that's doing the same as the kill switch. If that doesn't work get a volt/ohm meter and start following wires from the battery to the starter. Either an open or shorted circuit somewhere.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The kill switch is not the problem as you were told previously. The kill switch grounds the ignition system to kill the engine. It has nothing to do with operation of the starter. You were told to check the fuse in the engine compartment. Did you do that? Everything seems to freak you out so sit back -- take a chill pill, and approach the problem systematically -- not jumping from one thing to another. Current passes from the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid. From there it goes to the terminal block and into the harness up to the control box and ignition switch. If you have power on the "A" terminal, turn the key to START and see if you have power on the "S" terminal. That terminal feeds back through the harness to energize the starter solenoid. If you have power at the "S" terminal but not on the solenoid there is a harness issue or neutral start switch problem. If you have power at the solenoid with the key in the start position you have a bad solenoid. Jump the solenoid to see if the engine spins. Using a screwdriver or piece of wire, touch the positive battery cable connection on the solenoid and the other end to the small terminal that comes from the "S" terminal on the ignition switch.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Silvertip and everyone else. Great advice to chill, haha. I have checked the fuses and they are all working. I will do the systematic approach that you have advised early today. That helped out a lot! I will let you know what I find.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

Update:

So I followed Silvertips advice and went and check all the connections and fuses.

Here are a few pictures to try and help everyone see what I am seeing. In these pics, the key was turned on.

As you can see in the first pic, I am NOT getting power from the solenoid to the starter.

photo 1-1.JPG

I am getting power to the solenoid. I was calling this "A" terminal.
photo 1.JPG

This is actually the connector that goes from the solenoid back up to the ignition switch at the handle. It got power on only one of the pins but none of the others
photo 2-1.JPG

I am NOT getting power to this terminal of the solenoid. I was calling this the "B"terminal.
photo 2.JPG

The solenoid on my boat has four connections. Top = Power from battery. Middle Top = ??. Middle bottom = ground. Bottom = power to starter.

It appears as if though I am getting power to the solenoid, but it is not getting through to the starter?? everything else on the boat works, bilge, navigation lights, aerator, tilt/trim. I checked the ignition switch and the neutral switch in the remote handle box and those were working as well. I could post pics of those as well.

I did however, try and check to see if the kill switch was working properly. When I attached the leads to it, it did not light up when the key was on or off. It did not light up when the kill switch was on/off either way.

I am sure it is not the solenoid. I just replaced that about one month ago. It may be the actually kill switch circuit or something else.

Thanks for the replies. I'll continue working on it and see what I can do next. Any advice appreciated.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The solenoid is the lowest tech piece on the motor. It sounds like you have power to it but nothing happens. Either you have a bad solenoid (yes I know you just replaced it, stuff happens) or it is not grounded to the block. Check for a really good ground where it mounts.

castiron

Seaman Apprentice

I went and checked all the grounds/wires/connections. Took them off and made sure everything was tight and wires were connected properly without any rust or anything else. Everything looks fine.

It must be the solenoid then. I tried jumping from the top of the solenoid terminal that actually has power to the bottom of the solenoid that goes to the starter with a piece of wire. It made some sparks but the starter spun like regular (but it did not go up and actually engage flywheel.

Im just bewildered at how the solenoid can just go out like that? I mean, its only 30-40 bucks to replace but isn't it ironic that when I make a complete screw up with the oil that this practically brand new piece quits on me??

Anyways, thanks again guys. I guess I'll order another one and see what happens unless you have any more ideas.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i i have replaced soleniods with brand new bad ones a few times, they are not uncomon
I went and checked all the grounds/wires/connections. Took them off and made sure everything was tight and wires were connected properly without any rust or anything else. Everything looks fine.

It must be the solenoid then. I tried jumping from the top of the solenoid terminal that actually has power to the bottom of the solenoid that goes to the starter with a piece of wire. It made some sparks but the starter spun like regular (but it did not go up and actually engage flywheel.

Im just bewildered at how the solenoid can just go out like that? I mean, its only 30-40 bucks to replace but isn't it ironic that when I make a complete screw up with the oil that this practically brand new piece quits on me??

Anyways, thanks again guys. I guess I'll order another one and see what happens unless you have any more ideas.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try taking a jumper wire and run it from the pos cable on the solenoid to your B terminal on the solenoid and see what happens. B terminal=yellow red tracer wire.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Edit....the dreaded "double post".

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Update:

I am NOT getting power to this terminal of the solenoid. I was calling this the "B"terminal.
View attachment 178700

^^^^ listen to Boobie!
There is NO reason to replace the solenoid. (yet :))
You are not getting power from the ignition switch "start" terminal to the solenoid, according to the test above.

How did you conclude
that the the ignition switch and the neutral switch in the remote handle box ....were working as well
?

:confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.