1959 Johnson 50hp. Can I convert to teleflex?

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've done some searches and read but I don't have enough knowledge to be clear about converting a 1959 Johnson 50hp from pulley to push-pull steering. Can someone take a look at the attached picture and offer some links that will educate me further on this specific type of motor? Thank you.

1959Johnson50_zps40543681.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson 50hp. Can I convert to teleflex?

It can be done. But you may not like it. Steering arc will be severely restricted, and it may not fully tilt without interference. That could bend or break something if you hit a submerged object. If it were me, I'd stick with the pulley system. That's what it was made for.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can't speak specifically to the 50 nor to the Teleflex steering But:: We had a 67 40 hp Evinrude with teleflex type steering. The cable housing was affixed to the side of the splash well on a 70 Starcraft Nova. and I never noticed any difficulty steering or tilting the motor.
I believe it was on a sort of stand off.I believe the 50s steering attachment is very similar to the 67 40.
If I recall correctly there is an omc cable end attachment that has a spring loaded pin that you can unhook in seconds by hand.
It has been many years since I was intimate with one of these so I can't offer much more.
You might ask over at The Antique Outboard Motor Club Website - AOMCI.org.
Also Chinewalker may be of some help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Steelspike has it right. A lot of those motors were adapted to use the splashwell-mounted "tilt tube" from Teleflex. I stuck with cable and pully steering on mine.

I haven't seen one of those Fatties with it's original paint in that good of condition for some time. My '59 came painted in some kind of orange camoflage paint. I sprayed it refridgerator white.....
Is that grey thing in the rear the lower cowling seal?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with the rope and pulley system and you'll be $$$$$$$ ahead. When set up correctly there was nothing wrong with it and it never froze up unless the mtr did, JMHO.

lindy46

Captain

F_R is correct. I have a Teleflex on my pontoon, with my 1957 Lark. Steering is quite restricted. I had to adjust the system so I could make a sharp right turn leaving my dock and that limits me to a pretty shallow left turn. Also, I can barely tilt the motor enough to get the lower unit completely out of the water.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I like the cable/pulley system. Only negative is when you kids like to annoy you by tugging on the cables ;)

82rude

Rear Admiral

a chum had the cable and pulley and i remember him replacing it and going for a test drive ,funny as heck ,turn wheel right go left and visa versa ,still laugh about it today.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yea I remember. He had the cable bass ackwards on the spool.