Rough Idle when cold on Johnson 50 HP (after disconnecting VRO)

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys,
Just recently i have noticed my motor has started to run rough when first started up...
I am not sure if it is a coincidence or not but just after i disconnected the VRO loom the next time I ran the motor is starts up like normal (first go no issues) but it is definitely missing every couple of seconds its fine for about 3-4 seconds then misses ten fine again then misses seems to be a fairly steady pattern until she warms up a bit then it idles very smooth again like it does normally, but to keep it running and get it there i need to keep the idle up a bit.

I run the motor every fortnight on the muffs at home to keep everything well lubricated and the carbs clean and have not seen this problem until i removed the loom.
I have been running pre mix in the tank and still am but the VRO tank is still physically connected is it possible it is getting too much oil with the pre mix and the VRO still possibly sucking in extra oil ?

Just one more the Idle is slightly to low when in the water i want to bring it up about 100 Rpm what is the best way to adjust the idle?
Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough Idle when cold on Johnson 50 HP (after disconnecting VRO)

If you're running 50:1 in the fuel tank and still have the vro oil tank connected it's getting to much oil. A model # would also help ??

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,
I was hoping it was overoiling but the VRO tank has always been connected in the past and I have been using premix along with that it just so started when i unplugged the VRO wiring as the VRO alarm was getting annoying.

I have not got the ID plate details on hand but it is a '94 50 HP 2 cylinder Johnson electric start VRO 2 oil injection
Cheers

mark1961

Ensign

Make sure you are running the recommended plugs......id pull them and check for fouling......if fouled clean/gap and reinstall or run a new set......if the issue disappears at first but returns that would confirm overoiling. A good decarb probably wouldnt hurt either.

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cheers,
The plugs should be good i replaced them about 6 months ago but if it has been over oiling a good clean up won't hurt.
They are the right type as it was the first thing i changed on the motor when i got it.