1956 Johnson 30 HP restore and fuel conversion project

TrapperJ

Cadet
Hello this is my first post in iboats. Been lurking around and reading.

Like the title says i have recently brought home my new vintage 1956 Johnson 30 HP motor plan get it up and running and to convert it to use the new non pressured fuel tanks.

I have come across this link a few times posted in here
Duckworks

Is that the number 1 go to article on how to convert the engines to using the non pressured fuel tanks?

I have seen some posts from other 30 HP 56 that converted but it was pm sent on the help.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0

kbait

Commander
Re: 1956 Johnson 30 HP restore and fuel conversion project

To convert to single line, plug 'pressure' line from intake. I use a short length of new 5/32" fuel line and a bolt zip-tied to seal the end. Replace one of the bypass covers w/one tapped for a fuel pump. I'd call Tim's outboard and they'll know what yr/hp ranges will fit. They can also send you a used/good fuel pump plus fuel lines (you'll need 5/32" and 5/16") plus single line connector if you ask. Their # is 218-682-2331, or other salvage here: http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/salvage-yards-wilde1-438822.html

If you get a newer style fuel pump with the screen under the inlet, you can bypass the sediment bowl ***'y.

Good luck!

kbait

Commander

I meant assembly.. haha

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great motor, I have done a few myself.

I would go with the advice mentioned above, use a bypass cover and pump from a later model. That would look the most original. Short of that you can get a remote fuel pump such as a Mikuni and then drill/tap your existing bypass cover. Either way will work.

Something else to think of is the fact that the '56 was originally set up to run on 6 volts, not the current 12volt batteries. You will need to modify it slightly to do this. If you need help with this let us know and we can get more into it.

Have you started with a compression test? What did you find?

Keep us updated as you go.

EDIT: I just looked at the pic, and it does not appear to be electric start so dont need to worry about the conversion mentioned above. Cool tiller, rare to find them, most were run remotely. Good find.

TrapperJ

Cadet

Thank you!

No it is not an electric start, it's the RD-18 model.

I just want to make sure I do the conversion right.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"Later bypass covers", ie '57-up 35-40hp won't fit. However Gale 25hp covers will.

TrapperJ

Cadet

What about that Mikuni I read about in the duckworks article. Would that work too?

TrapperJ

Cadet

Thanks for those links! YouTube video Is very helpful as well

Reading and educating myself now!

TrapperJ

Cadet

This is a new field for me.i have never ever worked on engines, but I got the motor for $175 and the guy that sold it to me who works on these but is down sizing his inventory said it was one he would have fixed up to run for boating use.

He listed and linked me to parts needed to get it going so I have them on the way. So while I'm waiting on parts I'm trying to read up on how to do the conversion.

I read that these older motors are not to difficult to work on, since I don't do any bass fishing in the winter I figured why not give myself a winter project and try to learn something about outboard engines.

But this is all new to me!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well dont be afraid to ask questions along the way. Not a silly question if it saves you time and money and sanity right!?

As pointed out by Frank, you would need a Gale 25hp bypass cover. Now, not completely rare, but definatley not something easy to find laying around. I would PM Frank about making you an adaptor plate for your current bypass cover. That would make things easier. You fill the void with JB Weld, and then mount the adaptor plate to your existing bypass cover, then mount the pump to the plate.

If you would rather use a Mikuni fuel pump, you will need a fuel barb, then drill and tap your bypass cover, install the barb, then run a pulse line from the barb to the pulse fitting on the pump.

Both routes will get you where you want to be, just different ways of doing things.

Before you start anything though, compression test the powerhead. Dont want to throw all this money at a motor that needs a rebuild. Just my humble advice.

TrapperJ

Cadet

Haha good point!

I watched the video and the 2nd part with the vacuum caps to me seems like the easiest.

Good idea before I get to much deeper to compression test the powerhead.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...actually I would not modify the intake manifold. Get your pulse from the bypass cover. Then block the old pressure line.

TrapperJ

Cadet

Went out to look around on the motor just to get more familiar, guess I been caught up worrying about everything thing else so I decided to try and pull the pull start just to see, daaaaaang it's freaking tough, so now I'm kinda worried. Is there certain way or have the settings set to before I pull on it? Or should it just be able to pull.

I didn't think much of at the time cause the guy that sold it to me, pulled it when I arrived and he seemed to pull it real easy, so i never thought twice about it.

Anything I can do to check it out?

nwcove

Admiral

put the throttle on slow/stop, put it in neutral, and pull like you hate it!! lol just gently yanking the cord on a 30hp wont cut it. i would pull the plugs and slowly pull the cord to feel for anything odd tho. and as mentioned.....do a proper compression test before spending another $. ( your local napa/auto parts store should rent you a tester quite cheap)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, you are at a distinct disadvantge pulling it while it is on that (or any) stand. In the first place, it is up too high. Then of course, it is on wheels. You will find that in the real world where it is to be used, that is on a boat transom, you will be able to use both hands to haul on the rope. Really not hard at all if you are a normal average guy.

Just my 2c on the pump conversion: The duckworks method is too much work and unnecessary. So much easier to do it at the bypass cover.

TrapperJ

Cadet

Ok we'll that makes since it was on the ground when he pulled it, I put the locks on the wheels and it slowly pulled out but it was still pretty tough I had it in neutral but I need to check what setting I had the tiller handle on.

We have an Auto zone and an o Riley's here in. Muskogee, I'll see if they can rent me one.

What's the bypass cover exactly? Does anyone have an example? Pics etc? I guess I'm not understanding what the cover is exactly? Are talking about the vacuum cap thing? That goes over one of the holes?

nwcove

Admiral

DSCF1726.jpg heres a pic of a conversion of a smaller motor, the bypass cover(s) are behind the fuel pump on the shifter side in the pic. you can see the pulse nipple that was tapped into the lower bypass cover for the pump. not such a good pic for your application, but you can see where the covers are. ( best bet is to contact FR and get the adapter plate)

TrapperJ

Cadet

OK my buddy has a compression tester, said he would get by this week and help me test it before i get to deep in this bad boy.