100 HP Evinrude 2 stroke 4 CYL trim motor wont raise or lower

atkins1999

Cadet
Hello I have a Evinrude 1980 E100TLCSC. I wasnt able at first to get the motor to lower the tilt on the motor it blew fuses. I have bypassed the motor and used the bleed screw to lower it. I want to get to the trim motor back up and cant seem to raise it manually. I have tried to open the bleed screw to avoid a hydraulic lock or pressure from raising it. It seems like its now stuck in the down position which means I cant tow the boat to a repair shop, or get access to the trim motor. Any ideas?

rothfm

Ensign
Re: 100 HP Evinrude 2 stroke 4 CYL trim motor wont raise or lower

I'm not exactly familiar with 1980 year but probably similar to most others....First check each and every connection. Clean up any that look suspicious or the wires have corrosion under the insulation. Make sure all are clean and shiny and tight. Typical stuff.

Next you can run the motor wires directly to a battery, momentarily, to see if it moves, bypassing the relays and everything upstream from the actual motor. Reversing polarity at the battery should move the motor in the other direction. If this works, your issue lies in the relay box wiring, switch etc.....

If going directly to the battery yeilds no movement, no movement in one direction, erratic movement, your issue is down in the motor or pivot points.... or its binding on the tilt tube.

Yes, you should be able to lift it up and down by hand to see how smooth it is and if its able to actually tilt. You mentioned the "bleed" screw...Are you sure you are opening the "manual" release valve and not some other screw? That release valve only screws/unscrews a small amount, and are easily damaged. A small snap ring holds it in with an o-ring.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you did indeed use the manual release valve, get a buddy to help raise it back up and go to the shop. By the way, you don't have any relays on that mtr. It's got a three wire t/t mtr that uses a solenoid for up only. If you want to try and hot wire the mtr, go to the wires that go to the mtr and run bat pos to the blue wire and neg to the black wire for up. Put the pos wire to green for down.

atkins1999

Cadet

I'm not exactly familiar with 1980 year but probably similar to most others....First check each and every connection. Clean up any that look suspicious or the wires have corrosion under the insulation. Make sure all are clean and shiny and tight. Typical stuff.

Next you can run the motor wires directly to a battery, momentarily, to see if it moves, bypassing the relays and everything upstream from the actual motor. Reversing polarity at the battery should move the motor in the other direction. If this works, your issue lies in the relay box wiring, switch etc.....

If going directly to the battery yeilds no movement, no movement in one direction, erratic movement, your issue is down in the motor or pivot points.... or its binding on the tilt tube.

Yes, you should be able to lift it up and down by hand to see how smooth it is and if its able to actually tilt. You mentioned the "bleed" screw...Are you sure you are opening the "manual" release valve and not some other screw? That release valve only screws/unscrews a small amount, and are easily damaged. A small snap ring holds it in with an o-ring.

Yes we tried to bypass the fuse and went straight for battery power itself. All we were able to hear is a clicking sound but no movement of the motor. We tried using the blue and black wire as well. My brother in law is an electrician and we gave it a shot. We moved it down with a manual release screw where you top up the oil. There is another screw that might be the bleed screw but its painted on so thick you cant even get a screw driver in there to turn it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of the manual release screw you used to get it down ??

atkins1999

Cadet

Sorry the one with the screw out a little is the side that I did it on which is the right side. Also the other side has a screw torwards the bottom which has alot of paint on it so I cant get a screwdriver into the slot to loosen it. My wife says that I could try oven degreaser to loosen the paint? Sorry I rotated the picture before uploading it and they still got inserted sideways.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

On the starboard bracket there is is a hole on the outside; in that hole is a screw, is that the screw you are loosening? That is the manual release valve screw and it only should be turned about 2 times counterclock wise. Good luck

atkins1999

Cadet

There is a screw on the lower port side opposite of the bleed screw. If I loosen it will it relieve the pressure and allow me to lift it up all of the way? I wont be able to tow this thing down to get it to a repair shop.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

On my engine the manual bleed screw is located on the starboard(right) transom bracket in the outside hole. Mine is a 1987 but I thought they were in a standsrd location.

atkins1999

Cadet

in the second picture there is a large screw at the bottom port side opposite side of the bleed screw. Its got a lot of paint on it It looks to be larger than a screw driver kind of like a coin slot. There is a lot of paint on it. Not sure how to get the paint off. My wife says to try oven cleaner but I don't know if it would be wise with corrosion? I figure if I could open that coin slot it couldn't put me in any worse position than I'm already in.

alton11822

Recruit

in the second picture there is a large screw at the bottom port side opposite side of the bleed screw. Its got a lot of paint on it It looks to be larger than a screw driver kind of like a coin slot. There is a lot of paint on it. Not sure how to get the paint off. My wife says to try oven cleaner but I don't know if it would be wise with corrosion? I figure if I could open that coin slot it couldn't put me in any worse position than I'm already in.

did you have any luck with the larger screw that had the paint on it? I am having problems bleeding my unit and im thinking that the larger screw is the one to bleed my tilt and trim unit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This post is over 90 days old. Please read the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one !! Thank you.