Evinrude 120 Looper water not pumping?

ktime70

Cadet
Hi all, Due to a gearbox issue (shift collar jumping), I pulled my lower unit and bolted up a good second hand one. It selects gears fine, and turns the drive shaft, however the pump does not pump any water out the pee hole. water isn't even getting as high as the powerhead.

the waterpump on the new (second hand) lower unit was supposed to be brand new, but I pulled the lower unit again, and put the water pump and impellor from the old lower unit (it pumped water on saturday), and tried again. Still isn't pumping water to the powerhead.

It feels like it is sucking water in through the water intake screens if i put my hand near the (I am running it in a test tank, with water over the anti-cav plate). but it is not making it to the powerhead.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? I have changed the impellor before in the past, and never had an issue like this.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 120 Looper water not pumping?

How long did you run it in the test tank ?? Did it it want to overheat ?? Is the pee hole tube plugged up ?? Did you pull the thermostat covers and see if you had water there ??

ktime70

Cadet

ran it until the block was getting too hot to hold my hand on (above the temps it normally runs at, I have touched it at operating temp before) Probably took 3-5 minutes to get to that temp, so i would have thought plenty of time for the pump to prime. I didn't want to run it any longer for fear of damaging something.

Pee hole doesn't appear to be, but i'm going to try to flush the whole lot with the lower unit off tonight. no water at t-stat covers.

Going to pull it tonight to verify I have the impellor and everything in the right way.

ktime70

Cadet

Tested water flow through the head - flows easily.

Pump impellor was in properly. keyway that locked it to the shaft felt a fraction loose, replaced that, problem solved!