1997-150 HP Evinrude Stall

Louie Lip'em

Recruit
Engine starts, idles, and purrs like a new motor. Leave the idle zone and get a quarter of a mile across the lake and it's as if I shut the key off. Motor dies and sometimes I can feel it wanting to stall and I can feather it back to stay running. If not, I have to let it sit for 10 minutes, start it and it runs the rest of the day like new. This may happen twice at the start, then will run fine and never stall the rest of the day. As if the engine needs to get hot to run well.
So far I've replaced; Key Switch, VRO, Neutral Safety Switch, (which was intermittant contact trouble) thought I had it fixed when I found that one! and now rebuilt carbs. To bad I didn't see this site until now. I would have attempted to rebuild the carbs myself. $1160 and now after one season of fishing, this mechanic I use tells me the VRO is bad again. $600.00 plus. For get it. I'm mixing my own!
Any ideas? When I ask the above mechanic this same question. I could see the Evinrude sign behind him through his eyeballs!
Any related problems?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997-150 HP Evinrude Stall

Maybe it is overheat-related? When was last time waterpump impeller was replaced? Motor should kill spark to 1/2 the cylinders when it overheats, maybe some defect kills spark to all cylinders?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Better find a different mechanic. If it needs a vro there should be some kind of warranty on the one you bought.

Louie Lip'em

Recruit

First, thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, I changed the impeller/water pump about three months ago. Again this problem existed before the replacenent.
Each time it happens, non of the engine warning lights come on. They do work, the previous owner had them replaced about 5 yrs. ago The oil light came on when my original vro went out last summer and again this fall when I was down to below a quarter in my oil fill.
This happens only in the morning on the first start. Even when on a fishing trip when I'm using it for 10 hours. The next morning the same thing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Louis, That motor has 4 alarms. "Low Oil" in the resevoir; "No Oil" at the VRO; "Overheating Motor" and "Check Engine". The Check Engine is a fuel restriction alarm. The VRO (actually it is called the OMS pump) should last a decade or more. Are you sure your's is bad again?

I still do not have much of an idea what is wrong. You might check the shift assist switch to make sure it is not sticking. You might replace the thermostats, as maybe they are sticking. Both are abject guesses.