purchased 1953 lightwin with broken exhaust outlet tip--should I be concerned?

djboat100

Cadet
My first post here, what a fantastic resource! I just made my first foray into vintage outboards by purchasing a 3hp evinrude lightwin from an online seller (kept missing out on local sellers!)

Problem: the outboard I purchased online has the tip of it's exhaust outlet broken off (see photos). Should I be concerned? I wouldn't think that this would impact on operation noticeably on such a small (slow) motor.

T2eC16NHJGIE9nnWpUhJBQ1qVEvmQ60_57_zpsbf58a6fe.jpg

T2eC16dHJIE9qSO9w3VBQ1qVt2r8g60_57_zpsca9b154a.jpg

Also, does anybody know how interchangeable the lower units are on these motors? I've found a number of them for sale, but I'm not sure which years my motor would be compatible with?

thanks!

kbait

Commander
Re: purchased 1953 lightwin with broken exhaust outlet tip--should I be concerned?

Those 'tips' are commonly broke off. No worries to run it that way. I believe any J/E lower unit from '52-'67 will fit your motor.. someone will chime in who is certain.

Nice motor! Good luck w/her.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: purchased 1953 lightwin with broken exhaust outlet tip--should I be concerned?

I personally wouldnt bother, unless you want to make a show motor. Wont affect anything at all.

Those little buggers idle down real nice. Im sure you ll like it. Let us know how it runs.

lindy46

Captain

I have the same motor with the same broken tip. It has NO AFFECT on the motor, other than when the motor is lying down, it tends to sit on the prop rather than on that tip. I have a 1967 Johnson which had a broken skeg, and I was able to locate an earlier lower unit for that one and it bolted right on. Just make sure you get the weedless model lower unit if you want to keep it original.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That's the extra valuable high performance model with the screamin' open exhaust! Depending on who you ask, it gives at least another 1/32 horsepower! ;)

djboat100

Cadet

That's the extra valuable high performance model with the screamin' open exhaust! Depending on who you ask, it gives at least another 1/32 horsepower! ;)

LOL, that's what I was thinking... shed some weight as well--I'll consider it an improvement. ;)

Thanks for all the responses! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.