83 johnson 75 hp

froghair1

Recruit
I went fishing the other day, motor ran fine but engine would rev to high to shift gears. I reset shift cable to engage forward gear before throttle moved, now engine will not start. Is there something in linkage to a neutral start switch.The switch in control box is in neutral position

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 83 johnson 75 hp

Could be the safety kill yanyard has been activated.

I had an issue with very high revs & no shift earlier this year on my '84 - 75 hp. Problem was in the remote control. The linkages/rollers were all worn and the unit had to be rebuilt.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

froghair1

Recruit

Does the mtr turn over or what ??

No the starter will not even engage. all I did was adjust the shift linkage then try to restart and nothing happens. The choke sonenoid will work but thats all.

froghair1

Recruit

Could be the safety kill yanyard has been activated.

I had an issue with very high revs & no shift earlier this year on my '84 - 75 hp. Problem was in the remote control. The linkages/rollers were all worn and the unit had to be rebuilt.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

The shift linkage does not seem to be overly worn, it would shift fine into reverse, but real late into forward, about 1200 rpm or more

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

The major problem that the mechanic found on mine was that when the fast start/high idle lever on the remote was pushed down, the cable didn't retract properly on the engine, hence very hi idle.

throtlecam-stop1.jpg

I'd suggest that you put remote in neutral, raise idle/start lever and look at cables on engine. Then lower lever and look again. (non-running engine) It should have pulled the lever on the engine up against the idle screw.

I'd advise against shifting a running engine at high idle speeds. I choked mine down to a respectable idle before shifting fearful of gear teeth or shaft breaking.