1962 40 hp evinrude choke dilemma

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive begun to restore this motor model # 35531M. It has a choke system I have not seen before on these motors. coming off the side of the carb is a housing that is controlled by a vaccume switch, the choke when cold is closed, upon starting the vaccume ****ch pulls it open and Im guessing remains that way till engine is cut. inside of the housing is a heat coil and has a hose connected from the crankcase pushing the gas/ oil mixture through and returning to the crankcase, Im guessing after the engine heats up the fuel is warmed too and when it hits the coil it expandes , keeping the choke open after the engine is cut so you can restart the warm engine. My question is this: Is this all worth the trouble. I plan on putting on a tiller arm and could just as easily pull the choke open and closed by hand. Has anyone used this system? Is it reliable? or is it junk. My thought is that I have not seen this on any other motors, maybe there is a reason for that. Thanks Ronnie

yorab

Ensign
Re: 1962 40 hp evinrude choke dilemma

You're correct except that it's water that is fed to the bi-metallic spring, not fuel/oil.

If you're back there anyway, you could adjust manually.

FR has provided some insight into these systems and their reliability. If he doesn't get around to replying to this thread, search for previous comments.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have this same system on 2 1962 40 hp motors one jonny super sea horse & a Lark IV on both I bypassed the whole auto choke system and just use the manual.....you can use a jumper hose to the 2 water nipples so the just reciculate in a loop, then I just put a small length of hose with a bolt in the end of the hose and a hose clamp...........if the motor will be a restore for shows, meets, etc then leave it original... if it will be a daily runner then bypass the auto choke all together and use the manual. jmo

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ive begun to restore this motor model # 35531M. It has a choke system I have not seen before on these motors. coming off the side of the carb is a housing that is controlled by a vaccume switch, the choke when cold is closed, upon starting the vaccume ****ch pulls it open and Im guessing remains that way till engine is cut. inside of the housing is a heat coil and has a hose connected from the crankcase pushing the gas/ oil mixture through and returning to the crankcase, Im guessing after the engine heats up the fuel is warmed too and when it hits the coil it expandes , keeping the choke open after the engine is cut so you can restart the warm engine. My question is this: Is this all worth the trouble. I plan on putting on a tiller arm and could just as easily pull the choke open and closed by hand. Has anyone used this system? Is it reliable? or is it junk. My thought is that I have not seen this on any other motors, maybe there is a reason for that. Thanks Ronnie

Well OK, here is the deal: That is a water heated automatic choke. It also has a vacuum diaphrgam to partially open it when the engine starts to prevent overchoking and flooding out.

The hookups are a hose running from the cylinder water jacket to the top of the choke housing. Another hose runs from the bottom of the choke housing to the exhaust housing, where it attaches to a fitting that goes into the return water line. A third hose connects the vacuum diaphragm chamber to the intake manifold.

When you start a cold engine, the choke is closed. As soon at it starts, the vacuum pulls the choke part way open, but it is held part way closed by the bi-metal spring inside the red choke housing. As the motor warms up, water flowing from the water jacket, through the choke housing, to the water return tube, warms the choke housing and the bi-metal spring inside. As the bi-metal spring warms, it expands, allowing the choke to fully open.

That's the way they are supposed to work anyhow. Truth is, most of them didn't work worth a hoot even when brand new. Most owners got used to just opening the door to operate the manual choke. There is no need to remove or relocate any hoses because the manual choke overrides the automatic feature. If you insist though, you can remove the hoses and plug the fittings. Or remove the fittings too, and plug the pipe threads in the respective ports.

EDIT: BTW, even if the automatic choke is perfect, it won't work unless the cooling system thermostat is working. The thermostat is what makes the motor warm up, which is what makes the water flowing to the choke warm up, which is what warms the housing and bi-metal spring.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, thanks to all. I had it partially correct, I thought it was fuel oil running through because it was so damn clean, no residue or salt deposits. Come to think of it the thermostat was pretty clean too. You guys know how it is when you buy one of these old beauties and you live on the coast, everyone has the same line about it only running it in fresh water, maybe this is one of the few that actually was only run in fresh water. The fact that it does have an over-ride and that its not all rotted I think I will keep it hooked up to see if it does save me some trouble. The way I fish I am constantly restarting the motor and moving. on cold damp nights I am constantly opening and closing the choke. Thanks again. Ronnie

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It sounds like someone took good care of it. I bought motors from the coast before, that one wouldn't think ever seen salt water. I have a nice '58 Lark now, that I bought at the coast. If you are going to use a tiller on that motor, then I would just manual choke it. If you decide to fix the choke set up on it, you might look into getting an electric solenoid style, from a later model. 1960 and older was electric, but those have the dual needle set up, versus the single needle set up, like yours.