Evinrude 85hp inner exhaust

Longy

Recruit
I have a 1976 Evinrude 85hp and I need to replace the inner exhaust housing but I cannot get the outer housing off the adaptor plate.
There appears to be something else holding it at the front of the housing but I cannot see where to access it. Has anyone any ideas as to where to look? I have taken all the bolts off that I can access from underneath.
It almost looks like it is under the engine body!
Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 85hp inner exhaust

An exploded factory parts diagram may be helpful, showing how the midsection pcs fit. Check out this website, then look for your year, model engine: epc.brp.com

Longy

Recruit

An exploded factory parts diagram may be helpful, showing how the midsection pcs fit. Check out this website, then look for your year, model engine: epc.brp.com

Thanks for the pointer but I have already tried that and I still cannot see how to access these extra fixings. The exploded drawing is not very explicit on how to get the access I need.
Any other thoughts from anyone?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Remove the powerhead..... remove the lower unit.....remove the top motor mount.

Now you can get at the adapter plate retaining bolts.

Last edited:

rothfm

Ensign

I'm looking at my original OMC 1994, and a Clymer 1973-1990 Manuals--and everything I'm seeing is that there are indeed attachmens under the powerhead. I believe you have to remove the powerhead.

I just removed my 1984 Powerhead and the "leg" or midsection is attached to that Adapter assem from the top of the adapter. Also there are bolts there for the internal exhaust housing.

Been working on my PHead and havent gotten to the TNT/Midsection yet, so dont quote me---But I'm pretty sure you have to access those to from under the powerhead.

Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Follow Joe's advice. The inner exhaust housing bolts to the underside of the exhaust adapter. Once the adapter is unbolted, the inner should come out with the adapter. You will have to remove the upper engine mount to free up the adapter. In order to wiggle the adapter out, you may have to loosen up the lower midsection bolts and pull the upper away from the swivel bracket-to get it to clear the upper swivel bracket.