1970 johnson seahorse choke pull

lewis7896

Cadet
I have a 1970 25hp johnson seahorse that I have completely rebuilt. It is a strong running engine and idles smooth and easy. It is an easy starter, usually one or two cranks and were off. However when the temperature drops i need to use the choke pull to start it. However, this morning the black plastic pull broke in half. Now I have No way to pull the choke to enable it. I tried to epoxy it but it quickly failed. I find that the choke pull is a discontinued item and have looked all over the web. Where can I find this vintage part to once again make my engine complete? I don't want to rig up a wire like many have suggested. Any help??

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1970 johnson seahorse choke pull

Most epoxy takes 24 hours to fully cure from what I've seen.

There should be a sticky at the top that has a list of old part houses, one or more may be able to help.

If I saw a picture I might even have one laying around, or someone else on the site.

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com has them listed for, ahem, $25...I'd go 64's route and find a used one..shouldn't be hard to find as I'd guess the 18 hp's for several years used the same ones as well. If you have some marinas or marine repair shops in your area I'd try them.

lewis7896

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. I had looked at marine engine. Com they had the part but it said discontinued???? I looked today and there they were. So reluctantly I bought one. I was unable to track down a used one that still had the chrome cap. Thanks again! You all never fail!