'58 evinrude 7.5 skeg removal

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cannot get these screws loose. Tried impact screwdriver, pb blaster and I used a torch. Didn't apply alot of heat to where the bolts were glowing orange. Didn't want to damage any internal seals. Any advice maybe drill the heads off, then use vise grips on the leftover studs? thx

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '58 evinrude 7.5 skeg removal

Step away from the torch.

I encountered the same problem on a similar engine.

Invert the engine, soak the screws with Wintergreen (yep....Wintergreen from the drug store). Using a large, industrial soldering iron, heat one fastener at the time until the Wintergreen drys from the surface. (It is important to heat only the fastener...NOT the adjacent area) Allow the fastener to cool while you are heating the next screw.

After the fasteners have cooled, try your impact driver again. Alternate between TIGHTENING and loosening to break the seizure. If (when) they fail to release.....go ahead and ring the heads off.

64osby

Admiral

PB Blaster and a little heat over several days worked for me. Didn't break any screws.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ive been lucky so far, never needed anything more than the handy impact driver and some PB Blaster. But I dont have to deal with salt water motors either, I feel for you guys that do.

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no saltwater in KY. Just an old motor thats been sitting around. Got all the screws loose, but one. The head was stripped out, so I drilled the head off of it and it came right out.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

cool. now you can put some vise grips on it and remove the stud.