Choke bypass for manual start? What's this little red lever? 2001 Johnson 9.9

Bucks4life

Cadet
I'm a longtime boater, but not with an outboard. So, after purchasing a cheap pontoon for fishing with a 01' Johnson 9.9 I guess I'm a little bit in the dark.

When I first tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I pulled the cover off and took a quick look. Right where the gas line connects, there is small red lever. So, thinking this might be a fuel shut off I flipped it 180 degrees, but then figured out that gas line was backward and I'm pretty sure the thing wont start with out gas.

Anyway, I'm now under the impression that that little red lever is a manual choke bypass, or something like that. And now the motor will start but will only run on full manual choke and then die, with lots of white smoke. Anyway, I'm not a hundred percent sure what direction it was in when I flipped the lever, and without the owners manual, I'm not sure how to get the red lever back to it's original position to get the motor running at it's best. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Choke bypass for manual start? What's this little red lever? 2001 Johnson 9.9

Is it electric or manual start ?? Got a model # ??

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Choke bypass for manual start? What's this little red lever? 2001 Johnson 9.9

Your outboard does not have a choke. What it has instead is a fuel enrichener. That little red handle opens and closes a small hose that squirts fuel straight into the carbureter thereby adding fuel to the mix. So instead of taking away air like a choke does,it just adds fuel thereby getting the same end result,namely changing the air fuel mixture. If you have electric start ,pushing the key will activate this enrichener,but opening the handle will do the same.

Bucks4life

Cadet

Your outboard does not have a choke. What it has instead is a fuel enrichener. That little red handle opens and closes a small hose that squirts fuel straight into the carbureter thereby adding fuel to the mix. So instead of taking away air like a choke does,it just adds fuel thereby getting the same end result,namely changing the air fuel mixture. If you have electric start ,pushing the key will activate this enrichener,but opening the handle will do the same.

Wow, I had no idea!

So what position should the little red lever be in? Right now it's straight up, and that's not working so great. Having said that, what would be the normal start procedure for this motor?

Thanks for the knowledge!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The red lever should be pararell with the primer solenoid for norman operation.