87 johnson sailmaster 9.9 lower unit extension removal

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
newly acquired motor. 87 sailmaster 9.9. the powerhead has no compression in one cylinder, and plans are to turn it into a short shaft.
have the lower unit off, but the extension seems stuck via the water tube. looking into the housing i see the water tube looks like it is firmly attached to the extension (corrosion?). what is the best way to get the extension loose? or should i just cut the water tube with a saw (there is room to fit a saw blade between the housing and the extension)
really too bad when people dont take care of these old motors.
dino

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 johnson sailmaster 9.9 lower unit extension removal

You should clean everything around the tube as best as you can, then spray some penetrating oil let soak for a day or 2 then wiggle side to side as much as you can and tap the extension with a rubber mallet at the same time & it should come off. If the powerhead needs a rebuild & you need to buy a new drive shaft, rebuild kit and other parts you could probably find a s/shaft 9.9 in reasonable shape for less coast & use your sailmaster as reserve parts.

dkonrai

kodibass,
thanks. i paid 100.00 for the sailmaster, figured the starter and carb were worth at least that much. starter works good but needs a new switch.
as for finding a 9.9/15, out west they are asking 650+. not worth the money. i have a spare 83 9.9 powerhead that has good compression but missing parts and has a bad case and the lu is apart (i havent tried to reseal a lu yet).
thanks for the tip, will give it a try tomorrow as i am out of pb blaster. used the last of the can to pull the lu and extension. the copper tube is totally corroded to the extension collar.
thanks again!
dino

dkonrai

i have decided to just saw the copper tube, let it set for a day or so and it is still corroded (wow electrolisis is amazing) and its like it is soldered in.
dino

the machinist

The copper water tube is (should be) retained in the upper plate below the powerhead by a rubber O-Ring type grommet seal. That is why it does not want to come out. Yes saw 10" off it, as the sailmaster has a extra long (10") housiong extension.

You will see how this attaches when you pull the powerhead for your swap. However I would suggest you replace this upper grommet when you have the powerhead off, also replace the outlet grommet as well as these have a tendency to deteriorate & plug up the water flow in to & out of the powerhead