1956 Johnson 15 hp lower crank seal replacement

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the power head off. Any really good ideas on how to remove the lower crankshaft seal without taking the power head apart? It seems to be really tight.

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 Johnson 15 hp lower crank seal replacement

Yes however the seal is below the surface of the block and I'm not figuring out how to "dig it out" with the chisel because I can't get to an edge to push it in as instructed. The existing seal looks pretty good, probably not original but I have gone this far and might as well replace it.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have had good luck removing seals by taking 2 or 3 drywall screws and slowly screwing them into the seal with a cordless drill, the screws will raise the seal up/ out of its seat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes however the seal is below the surface of the block and I'm not figuring out how to "dig it out" with the chisel because I can't get to an edge to push it in as instructed. The existing seal looks pretty good, probably not original but I have gone this far and might as well replace it.

That is why I suggested a round chisel. Ok, it takes some skill and you will be learning OJT, but it can be done. I've done hundreds that way. But if you are uncomfortable trying it, a second option is to use a Dremel tool to cut through one side of the shell of the seal till it is paper thin. Then it is easy to collapse inward so it will almost fall out.