Powerhead Disassembly - 1966 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP

boatnutty26

Cadet
I need to take apart the powerhead assembly and free a stuck piston ring on my Evinrude Lightwin 3 hp. I tried de-carbing and it did not free the piston ring. There is only one stuck ring on the lower piston.

Does anyone know how to get the powerhead assembly apart, or get the pistons out of the cylinders? Do I need to take the entire motor apart to get to it?

Any advice is much appreciated!

TD

kbait

Commander
Re: Powerhead Disassembly - 1966 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP

Try pulling the exhaust plate on port side of powerhead + cylinder head. You'll get a better look at things, and an avenue to add some pb blaster. Maybe you'll get lucky and free it up. If I can't free 'em up after that, I order a used/good powerhead from Tims 218-682-2331, or one of these: http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/salvage-yards-wilde1-438822.html

That being said, no harm in splitting her open and taking a look if it stays stuck.

Good luck!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powerhead Disassembly - 1966 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP

Well, I dont know if I would order a whole new powerhead simply due to a stuck ring. It does not take any time at all to open her up and swap out the ring. For your first time though, I would advise you get an OEM manual. Read it and ask questions before you open her up though so you dont mix up rod caps and such. Little tricks you need to know.

But as stated, I would give it a little more effort before opening her up. Pull the bypass covers, exhaust covers and head, and hit it with seafoam from all angles. Hopefully she will free up.